Cartridge Replacement with Shared Main

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micro

Reaction score
My tub faucet is dripping constantly (Delta from early 90's). I live in a condo with shared water main and supposed to ask the HOA to notify the neighbors before shutting off the water. So I would like to find out the replacement cartridge's part/model number and purchase it beforehand to keep the downtime minimal. Is it possible to open up the unit without shutting off the water? If yes, how much of the assembly can I remove? Just the clear plastic ball handle? Is that enough to ID the cartridge? Can I also safely remove the cylindrical housing? What about the ring nut?

Attachments

• tub_faucet.jpg
    tub_faucet.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 7
Not a cartridge type of valve.
All little separate parts.

Put a wet rag over the drain, to catch dropped parts.

You can pop the little HC button off the plastic handle.

Behind there is a screw, remove it and the handle pulls off.

You can then remove the two screws in the round trim plate, to see if you have shutoff stops built into your valve, but you probably don’t.

Post a pic with the trim plate off.

Your valve is a very common Delta valve, easy to repair.

That domed metal bonnet nut with the knurled edge has to be unscrewed.
Then there are more parts under it, starting with a plastic disk which holds everything in place.

There is a metal or plastic ball with a stalk that attaches to the shower handle.

Under the ball, there are two black rubber caps with a spring under each.

Youtube has zillions of videos of all this, how to repair Delta shower or bathtub valve.

Home Depot or most big box or hardware stores all carry Delta repair kits

Thanks, Jeff, for the detailed instructions. Just want to confirm that I can do what you listed without turning off the water main?

Main water does have to be off, unless you have service stops on your valve.
They look like flat screwdriver slots.

If you have them, test them first before taking the valve apart, they can fail.

Jeff, can I remove the domed metal bonnet nut without turning off the main? That way I can see the interior parts and buy them before notifying the HOA to send out the out-of-service notice to the neighbors. Just trying the get ready beforehand to minimize the downtime for the neighbors.

The white plastic cap might be different, different slot shape, but the existing cap should be reusable.

Watch the vid, I did not watch most of it.

Watch a few others also, get tips from several.

That grease looks fine.

Clean out the crud from inside the empty valve with paper towels soaked in vinegar.

Clean out the little recessed holes too, leave no lint behind.

Use a tiny screwdriver, dental pick, or tiny allen wrench to wrangle the little caps and springs.
Use plenty of grease to gook them in, so they won't fall out and down the drain.

Put the little tab on the white cap in the slot in the valve.

Watch some vids, all your answers are there.

Yeah, I noticed some white plastic caps sold are slotted and some have rounded openings. Reusing the old one sounds good in case I ended up buying the kit with the wrong shape. Will check out a few other videos before I go ahead. Thanks for all your help!

I forget which is which.
Buy one of each, bring back the extra.

Buying extra “what if” parts is crucial to most every job, it beats having to slink away to shop with everything torn apart and water off.

I removed the cover and saw a couple of slotted bolts (see photo). Are those the local water shut-offs you were referring to?

PXL_20201106_052421499.MP.jpg

Yes!

But they might not turn, from corrosion or minerals, or might not seal well anymore.

Test them first.

There is also a slim chance that they could start leaking into the wall from being turned.

I know, not fair, right?

Go easy and see how they turn.

Some stops are 1/4 turn, some are multi turn.

If they wind up just leaking a little, you can build a foil ramp to carry open valve leakage out past the shower wall.

Cool...will get the repair kit and cross my fingers and see if the local shut-offs are still operational. Thanks again!

Back