captive air tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanceh5

Reaction score
I have a Sears 80 gal captive air tank about 30 years old and want to replace the bladder. I could not find a replacement bladder from the Sears Parts web site. The tank is about 30" in diameter and about 5' tall. This was made for Sears by some manufacturer, and wonder if there could be another source for the bladder.

My concern is the water draw down is only 5 gal before the pump kicks on and it should be about 20 gal or so. I drained the system and set the air pressure to 33 psi with a new pressure switch that is working at 35 to 55 psi.

A new tank from Grainger is over $500. Grainger has parts for their tanks and their bladder may work??

I seriously doubt that your Sears tank lasted 30 years without the bladder being bad. They were made by Sta-Rite who's original tank was called Con-Aire. It is one of the worst tanks on the market. They also make the Flotec. That should tell you something about their quality.

Trust me on this one, you DO NOT want to change the bladder in the 30 year old tank.

Graingers never had good pricing and they sell pretty much the same stuff as Sears.

Want a top of the line tank at a good price, go here: Bladder Tank

Back