Cap of 1st test cock of backflow preventer is leaking

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilyT

Reaction score
I have a Febco 850 backflow preventer unit. Water sprays out under the cap of the 1st test cock. My cap is not metal. It is made of black plastic attached with a rubber band, one end is a small loop as a washer for the cap, the other end is a large loop to loosely connect to the collar. A 7/16” wrench can fit the cap to turn it. I have attached the picture of my unit below. I wonder if a new set of rubber band and cap might fix the leaking problem. Do you know where I can get this replacement part? Thanks a lot!24E0971B-C25F-4759-93C4-9FC318986DC4.jpeg
A88B396A-F9B6-4F41-97DE-6E1733F9EFE2.jpeg

Those are supposed to be closed ,if the screwdriver stop us in the vertical position it's open, if it's horizontal and spraying change it, I think it's an 1/8th inch tapping, I usually change them out to a male ips ball valve

Those are supposed to be closed ,if the screwdriver stop us in the vertical position it's open, if it's horizontal and spraying change it, I think it's an 1/8th inch tapping, I usually change them out to a male ips ball valve
You’re right! The winterization crew didn’t fully close the test cock. After I turned it horizontal, the spraying stopped. Thanks so much for the accurate diagnosis!

Latest posts

Back