Cap of 1st test cock of backflow preventer is leaking

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

LilyT

Reaction score
I have a Febco 850 backflow preventer unit. Water sprays out under the cap of the 1st test cock. My cap is not metal. It is made of black plastic attached with a rubber band, one end is a small loop as a washer for the cap, the other end is a large loop to loosely connect to the collar. A 7/16” wrench can fit the cap to turn it. I have attached the picture of my unit below. I wonder if a new set of rubber band and cap might fix the leaking problem. Do you know where I can get this replacement part? Thanks a lot!24E0971B-C25F-4759-93C4-9FC318986DC4.jpeg
A88B396A-F9B6-4F41-97DE-6E1733F9EFE2.jpeg

Geofd

Staff member
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are supposed to be closed ,if the screwdriver stop us in the vertical position it's open, if it's horizontal and spraying change it, I think it's an 1/8th inch tapping, I usually change them out to a male ips ball valve

LilyT

Reaction score
Those are supposed to be closed ,if the screwdriver stop us in the vertical position it's open, if it's horizontal and spraying change it, I think it's an 1/8th inch tapping, I usually change them out to a male ips ball valve
You’re right! The winterization crew didn’t fully close the test cock. After I turned it horizontal, the spraying stopped. Thanks so much for the accurate diagnosis!

Latest posts