Can't turn off "hot" water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver

Reaction score
We recently bought a house and I decided that I was going to flush the water heater. I turned off the cold water supply line to the water heater. I then went to open a hot water faucet in the house - but the water kept running! It doesn't turn hot. It doesn't run with full force, but the water keeps running. Therefore, I guess there must be a connection somewhere between the hot and cold circuits. Is this normal? Why would anyone do such a thing? Thanks.

I suspect the pipes run under the house. I'll have to crawl down there to take a look.

is your house off the ground?

i am trying to figure out if your house is a slab house with copper looped under it..or a conventional foundation..

if its a conventional''its just a matter of craweling under the house and tracing the lines

if its a slab house...it is more complacated

go around the house,,turn off all the valves under cabinets...and behind toilet,,washer, turn off the water heater valve

do you have cut offs built into your tub shower valves?

with everything off.

open the hot,,,on the kitchen sink...flow or no flow?

Yes, the house is off the ground.

We don't have cut-offs for the showers/tub.

It may be a few days before I have times to try this or crawl under the house. I'm guessing that, if there is no flow with the valves off, then the next step is to turn the valves one by one by one until water starts coming out of the "hot" tap again?

"scald guard / mixing valves on the tub/shower...most likely the culprit"

Ah, that's very interesting. Makes more sense than someone deliberately making a cross connection. Probably no easy way to check for this if we don't have cut-offs for the showers/tub?

Thanks for your help!

Back