Can't remove single lever handle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan1981

Reaction score
Hello. I have a drippy shower and have been told I need to replace the cartridge (it's a Peerless 88700). I have the cartridge, but can't remove the handle and am curious if anyone has any suggestions.

I can turn the screw on the front of the handle and it continues to spin but gets to the point where it just keeps spinning and never comes out. I tried to give it a light tug so I don't shake the pipes too much with no luck. I imagine I need some sort of tool to push the handle outward as I continue to unscrew, but I really have no idea.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thank you!

nFdKEVu.jpg

Sounds like the screw is stripped in the cartridge. You will have to get the screw out in order for the
handle to come off. There is no tool that will pull that handle with the screw still screwed in the cartridge.
Try pulling on the handle by hand as you turn the screw and see if that helps any.

Sounds like the screw is stripped in the cartridge. You will have to get the screw out in order for the
handle to come off. There is no tool that will pull that handle with the screw still screwed in the cartridge.
Try pulling on the handle by hand as you turn the screw and see if that helps any.
Hi @TomFOhio. I tried that a little with no luck. Maybe I need to pull harder, but I didn't want to pull too hard.

Sounds like I have a few options to run with, so I'll try them out until one works. Thanks everyone!

I'm just a DIYer, but I'm wondering, if the screw turns to the point that is just spins, it seems to me that it is disengaged from the handle *. If that's the case, why wouldn't a faucet handle puller work?

Is it even possible that it is a "captive" screw that was used to prevent it from getting lost or going down the drain?

* I said handle, but I meant whatever the screw screws into, which would be the stem on my old faucets (maybe the cartridge on a single handle faucet?).

Last edited:
I'm just a DIYer, but I'm wondering, if the screw turns to the point that is just spins, it seems to me that it is disengaged from the handle *. If that's the case, why wouldn't a faucet handle puller work?

Is it even possible that it is a "captive" screw that was used to prevent it from getting lost or going down the drain?

* I said handle, but I meant whatever the screw screws into, which would be the stem on my old faucets (maybe the cartridge on a single handle faucet?).
This was my 1st thought too, but I had never even heard of a faucet handle puller until I started doing a little research. Any specific brand or variant I should try?

I have not been able to try any of these solutions yet, unfortunately. I have an infant at home which usually restricts my attempted DIY projects until the weekend.

shopping.jpg Typically, a faucet puller works by putting pressure against the stem in the middle, which allows the handle to be forced off. With the screw still in the handle, all you will do is bend the handle. You need that screw out. I would try using a fulcrum against the wall of the shower to start forcing the handle away from the wall while another person starts unscrewing the screw. if this is unsuccessful, I would cut off the stem as mentioned above, and start over with all new parts.

Another option is to just drill out that old screw, and hope you don't damage the handle in the process.

He said the screw turns to the point were it just spins. That is why I think the screw is no longer in play holding the handle in place. I know from my personal experience in changing washers that handles can become "frozen" (for lack of a better term) in place and impossible to simply pull off, but the faucet puller's strong even force will easily pull it right off. I don't think the brand will matter. Just get whatever your store sells.

With the screw still intact, there is no way for the puller to get any leverage, so it will not work until the screw is removed.

Let's get clear on the screw. Does it come out partially as you loosen it, and then just spin, or is it turning, but not coming out at all? I read the original post as the former.

Latest posts

Back