Can't remove diverter handle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert W

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having a problem identifying how to remove this diverter handle. There are no screws anywhere and I tried pulling it off but that didn't work either. If anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Robert

Last edited:
There is nothing saying what the brand name is but some of the other fixtures as part of the shower are Delta, Monitor, and Grohe. I turned the escutcheon counter clockwise and its loose but no indication anywhere on the brand

Yes, nothing there either. It's a bit of a mystery on how to take this off :)

I added some additional pictures of the top and bottom of the diverter handle for some additional context

From the corrosion it looks to have been on there quite a while.

Very likely that the escutcheon holds the whole thing in place, as suggested.

If the escutcheon is now fully loosened, maybe the handle is just held in by corrosion, needs to be yanked out.

But go to the web sites or customer service numbers of all the brands you mentioned, look for that diverter style, or sometimes you can email them a pic and they can advise if it is theirs, and how to service it.

Maybe there is a set screw revealed, once you pull the escutcheon as far away as possible.

I'll contact the manufacturers that I mentioned to see if they can recognize this diverter and provide any information on how to service it. I added some pictures of the escutcheon pulled all the way back and there are no set screws there either. It looks to be a brass collar that extends back into the wall.

It looks like there are flat spots for a wrench on the brass cylinder that sticks out of the escutcheon.

You might want to add some penetrating oil, at the joint where two cylinders butt up against each other behind the escutcheon.
Add a few drops of oil, wait overnight, then try to unscrew the cylinder using a very tight fitting wrench on the flat notches.

Hi Jeff, the flat spots on the cylinder were indeed spots for a wrench. I was able to remove the handle and add some lubricating oil. Works like new :) Thanks very much for your help!

Back