Can't find leak from water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAS

Reaction score
Hi.
We have a water heater tank from 2009, which has started leaking.
I have opened it, cleaned and checked the magnesium anode.
O-ring seems to seal OK, and there is no visible leak from any external connections/pipes.

The water is seeping slowly out from the blue shell (insulation). So I would think the reason would be that the insulation shell is filled up with water and slowly running over.

It leaks some drops per hour, sometimes a small puddle.

What I find curious is that even though the water holds 60*C / 140*F, and the tank and lid itself is warm to the touch ; the water that is leaking is cold.

The leak is on the opposite side of the water pipe connections. The interior of the tank looks good with only small possible spot of rust.

Any ideas or suggestions for troubleshooting?

High probability that the tank is leaking. Sorry.
You are too late to get complete credit for the tank if it is 2009 b/c the tank had a 8 yr warranty. You are now in the pro-rated warranty period.
Take advantage of the pro-rated warranty sooner rather than later. https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/SU-100-warranty.pdf
There is a reason they only give an 8 yr. warranty (ya think?)
Stainless steel indirect models last longer!

Last edited:
The warranty pdf you included says "from the date of original installation".
It was purchased 2009, but was not installed before November 2012. I still have the receipt from installation.

Might still be valid then?

call the manufacturer. If they say no then tell them you have the installation receipt and a copy of the warranty. Read it to them. Don't assume the person you get will know all the policies so ask for a supervisor if you need to.

The tag on that says Buderus. There is at least one warranty online for several of their aluminum models that says something about 5 years if registered but one year if not. What model is it?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back