Cant Find Cleanout Plug 60's Bath Sink P Trap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a mess looking for plug. if I could be sure trap would just twist off, Id do new pvc route. if I easily poked thru the rusted plug, the area around it must be ready to leak. 60 yrs old.

surprised someone isn't familiar with this, must be plenty of them. last 2" of trap is flared to a bigger diameter, then the bigger diameter one piece flange behind it, against finished wall. flange cant be just slipped away to see what its covering, it just spins around.

have flip phone, I take photo, try to email it and it says im not connected, other odd stuff, don't know if it can do it, reading lots of info on how, but wont work. have to have someone else check it for me to see if it can do it. started simple, but......

edit -- and that boat plug probably no good, had plumbing shop show me a rubber expansion plug, same idea, but said prob would not work. need right diameter, has to seal threads, etc...not as easy to use as a rubber freeze plug on an engine block.

wont work, don't have a straight section coming out. have the finished wall, against the big flange that spins around, against the flared end of the 1 1/2" pipe, then the pipe immediately starts curving down into the 'p' shape. only 6 1/2" from wall to centerline of sink tailpiece.

cant find a plug, so have to try to patch up the hole in old one, hope it works, and figure a new trap b4 another leak from rust/rot. if it twisted off, new trap would be easy. don't see how things were all lined up against each other perfectly if flared end of trap was actually soldered in place. I cant be alone, someone knows about these.

Carefully cut away the escutcheon with a hacksaw, you can get a compact hacksaw handle for tight spaces like that.

There is probably a slip nut behind it.

If not, you can at least see what’s back there.

Even if you patch the trap plug temporarily, the whole thing is rotting out and you or a plumber will have to eventually replace everything.

May as well see what’s back there now.

It kinda sounds like he may have a trap screwed directly on a threaded nipple that's probably sticking out of the wall about the depth of the thread engagement. And the escutcheon is covering view of this joint.o_O

if I hold my laptop under the sink and use it to take a picture of the trap, can I send it onto here?

if I hold my laptop under the sink and use it to take a picture of the trap, can I send it onto here?
Take a few and pick the best ones.
Click on "Upload a File" and it will access your laptops files. Just click on the picture(s) you want to upload.
This is assuming you are using the laptop for accessing the forum.

did this work??
edit....took photo...clicked upload file=window named 'open'/clicked on 'pictures'/dbl clicked on a folder named 'camera roll'...that brought up the photo I took...dbl clicked on the photo

Attachments

• WIN_20191104_15_43_17_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20191104_15_43_17_Pro.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Yup...worked just fine. That's kind of what I suspected.
Female screwed connection on end of P-trap with what appears to be some type of escutcheon covering the rest of the pipe. At least I think that an escutcheon.
After soaking that threaded connection with some type of penetrating fluid, giving it a few taps to help the penetrating and waiting a day or so, that trap may unscrew without turning the pipe it's connected to.
The pipe it's connected to is likely a short nipple that is screwed into a tee. So if it was to come out you would have to opportunity to adjust that distance for your trap location. (By shortening or lengthening that nipple.)

it's a 3" diameter, 2" 'deep' flange which freely spins around but has no other play in it. then for some reason that left end of the 1 1/2" p trap pipe is flared out to 2" diameter. that flared out section is part of the pipe/one piece, it's not another flange. unlike todays metal 1 1/2" traps that are a straight 1 1/2" all the way going straight back towards wall.

there's another sink on other side of that wall in another room. not sure if lined up exactly vertical/horizontal with each other, but has the exact same trap setup. different style sink, but it's also 6 1/2" from wall to centerline of sink tailpiece. and I wouldn't touch the cleanout plug on that one, it looks pretty "rough" around that area. one hard bump and Im afraid it would be leaking.

if these are screw-ons, it's amazing how they got the trap to end up vertical, lined up exactly the right distance from the wall, to line up under the sink...or was there some "trick"...and/or some real craftsmanship.

edit - by the way, the picture thing was a first for me, never did one. still not sure if my flip phone can do it.

Cut off that escutcheon.

The answer to your problem is hiding back there.

Whether it is a threaded nipple or a smooth pipe stub, you can likely cut it right where the escutcheon used to extend out to.

Then attach some kind of appropriate adapter coupling, depending on what the end of the nipple/pipe stub looks like.

Then add a new chrome or pvc trap kit.

Latest posts

Back