Cant Find Cleanout Plug 60's Bath Sink P Trap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onefix

Reaction score
one piece 1 1/2" metal from wall to where 1 1/4" sink tailpiece goes in, hex shaped cleanout plug at bottom 1 7/16" across flats, o.d. male thrds 1 5/16". poked a wire in there to get something, was rusted/rotten, poked hole thru it. thought it was simple to replace. cant find one, now I hear major plumber repair, unscrew trap from inwall, wall fitting may break/open wall/shutoffs/sink/faucet/drain/trap, etc. how the heck did they twist on the traps to line up exactly under sink? limited diy'er, limited $$. all for a simple cleanout plug.

Post good Pictures please, to get proper advice.

Sounds fixable by handy DIY, but pics are needed to suggest parts, procedures, and tools needed.

If you are saying the old P trap had a cleanout plug at the bottom of its trap bend, those chrome plated brass traps eventually rust away to nothing, and that plug under the bend would only be useable for the first few years it was new, til it got rusted into place.

You can replace all of it with a pvc trap kit.

You can warm up the old slip joint fitting at the wall with a hair dryer, it will be easier to unscrew then, and the brass/chrome wall arm might be easier to pull out if warmed up.
Adding some penetrating oil to the slip nut threads at the trap adapter at the wall will help it also, let it soak in overnight.

But post pics first.

Last edited:
worded title 'wrong'. don't mean I cant find where the cleanout plug is...it's at bottom of trap, I unscrewed it easily, thrds, etc, was solid except for middle of plug that rotted thru. I meant I cant find a replacement...simple..that would end it. was prob original 1960 setup, lot more than few years.

no slip joint/nut, etc at wall. a bigger diam rounded end section of pipe...with a bigger round one piece 'escutcheon' that spins around behind that, against wall.

don't know how to do pictures. basic comp stuff, basic diy. but there has to be tons of 'old' houses with same deal. just find another plug, done.

Man, you are being about as vague as possible.

Is the damaged cleanout plug meant to go into the bottom of the bend in the trap itself?

Or is this cleanout plug located on the wall, under where the wall arm of the trap enters the wall?

Or is there a wye fitting on the trap or exposed drain line somewhere, with a cleanout plug capping off the wye?

You can easily post a pic from your smartphone, if you have one.

vague? the plug does in fact screw into the bottom of the "p" trap bend (looking down the sink drain from above, you can see part of the opening at the bottom of the "p" trap bend where the plug screws in).

an escutcheon....then it comes straight out of wall (no slip joint/nut), loops down then up (the "p" trap bend) to the only slip joint/nut, which holds the 1 1/4" tailpiece going up to the sink.

replacement plug a simple 2 minute diy fix. ones I see so far all too big diameter.

Thank you for finally giving a direct answer, as to where exactly the plug was located, from the several possible locations.

I have never seen those little trap plugs sold separately, only as part of a p trap kit.

So it seems like your p trap might be soldered in, and now your search is for the little plug that fits under the trap bend.

Here is a similar design, in pvc.
Maybe the plug would fit?

2 in. PVC DWV Hub x Hub x Cleanout P-Trap Fitting

https://www.homedepot.com/p/100343824

Or contact the manufacturer of the metal trap I linked to above, maybe they sell that little plug by itself.

no luck, even the plug in the metal Eastman trap is a different size. two old time plumbing shops, nothing. would have been such an easy thing.

so it could be soldered in? cant try twisting it off without knowing for sure. I cant be first one, does plumber rip piece of wall out and cut pipe?

before major rip out, I thought I'll try some type of epoxy to glue a piece of steel or plastic onto plug and hope it seals the hole. otherwise...…..

Be warned, that many on here will ridicule any mention of epoxy, or a quick fix.

But do what ever it takes, good luck.

Maybe you could neatly and carefully saw off the pipe about two inches from the wall, and just use a double-ended slip coupling to attach that stub to a new P trap kit?

Attachments

• 81-9XaHw46L._SL1274_.jpg
    81-9XaHw46L._SL1274_.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 4
I assume you already checked this, but is there definitely no slip joint hidden behind the escutcheon?

Sometimes they are recessed into the wall, just flush with the plaster or tile surface.

ridicule about epoxy, or any quick fix is dumb. if I could have found replacement plug, that would have been it, done, a 2 minute quick fix, vs something with some unknowns that could turn into a major project. easy choice.

0B7F1E41-FBD7-4B56-B8AB-C8983BA6C597.png

Get a boat drain plug. Just don’t put it in too deep to block flow in the drain.

Latest posts

Back