Can you help identify what this pipe could be for??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeberx

Reaction score
I need to disconnect my laundry room tub/sink so I can level and finish the flooring. I went to disconnect and there is a 3rd small copper pipe going up into the tap. I am used to only seeing two (hot and cold) connections. What could this third small copper pipe be in the middle? It runs from the tap down into my basement wall. Its very small pipe. I have attached a picture showing the pipe in between the hot and cold inputs. It is proven very hard to access the nut to get this off and I have just debated cutting it but I have no idea what purpose it is. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20210218_195602.jpg
    20210218_195602.jpg
    443.6 KB · Views: 26
Maybe someone used that as a trap primer. Every time the faucet was used a little water gets diverted into a floor drain to keep water in the trap via that copper.....

Turn the water on and go find the end of the copper.

that’s just a guess.

I can't see where the other end is...maybe inside the walls. The drain is below on the ground. I don't see a copper pipe coming in to it. I never knew they even had taps with such a third input or an output underneath like that. It is screwed in their to something though... Any other input would be great but I guess I should keep trying to get it disconnected without cutting so I can put it back the way I found it. I'm just really curious what it could be.. Thanks for your input.

Typically the center connection underneath is for a side sprayer but I can’t say for sure that’s what you have. I know you said it’s for your laundry sink and it looks like a 4” spread or is it 6” ? Measure distance between the hot and cold on center.

take a pic of the faucet.

Yes for laundry. Attached is the pic. Its 4 inches.

Attachments

• 20210218_222028.jpg
    20210218_222028.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
I would say that is most likely an illegal connection anyway. Possible backflow condition could exist because you can’t find the end of the copper.

Discontinue it and monitor for any changes, particularly a foul smell of sewer gas....

If so, look for a dry P-trap.

So this is an output? Every time I use the laundry sink water is going out somewhere? The room on the other side of the wall is the bathroom and I know that sink does not use it in any way as recently renovated. I'm really not getting why anyone would do this. The laundry sink is rarely even used...

I remembered I had pics of the demo washroom and I found a pic of what is inside that wall. This small copper pipe comesbinto the wall from laundry and goes into a black insulation type pipe and runs into the ground. This must go down into sanitary drain which must be below this basement pad where toilet and shower drain. See pic. I still dont understand the purpose of this? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20191204_161324.jpg
    20191204_161324.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 18
I would discontinue it. It appears water would flow through that every time you use the faucet.

What purpose could that have served? I will see what happens if I disconnect. I hope water would not shoot out when used or maybe I will need a new tap. Thanks.

Your laundry faucet is cheapo junk anyway, so cut that line and put in a decent faucet, not plastic trash.

disconnect and near the top just crimp it shut tight with channel Iocks. I mean tight......

save your coin.

If you crimp it you will probably have to solder the end. You can buy a cap for that size of pipe
but you will still need to solder it.

If you crimp it you will probably have to solder the end. You can buy a cap for that size of pipe
but you will still need to solder it.
Yeah I was talking about the line after it’s disconnected.

He will need to close off the outlet in the faucet or like you say, cut it and cap the one still connected to the faucet.

I’d probably pick up a new faucet.

the left over line can be just crimped shut or maybe just left alone. It should be dead.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I agree a new faucet is in order. It's very rarely used so has not been a big priority on the Reno list.

Latest posts

Back