Can someone tell me if this thing is a well water jet pump? Or some type of old sump pump, thank you!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lmk9090

Reaction score
Is this a water well pump? Can anyone tell me if it is safe to cut this pipe and fill the hole?
Would any plumbers or HVAC people out there be able to tell me what this is? Its in my Cellar that used to be a drive under the house garage. It looks related to water, perhaps a well pump? Would it be ok to remove this device? Or is it still hooked up to water or something? Also there is a random 2" pvc sticking out of the wall in front of it. It does not connect to my waste system. Perhaps its connected to my waste system under ground? Haven't turned the faucet because I thought I would wait until someone can tell me what it is, also it goes right into the ground to the right of that union connection. I really wanna cut that pvc pipe and cap it off, and then break that union, toss out the pump and cut the pipe in the ground then fill it. Ive lived in my house for 3 years and we never use this thing. Also it is clearly not powered on or even wired to be used. I really appreciate the help guys!
Attachment image

Attachments

• thumbnail_20200404_144011.jpg
    thumbnail_20200404_144011.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 14
  • thumbnail_20200404_144015.jpg
    thumbnail_20200404_144015.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 15
bump, I will be cutting that random pvc out of the wall today and gluing a cap on it. The pump I plan to cut the galvanized steel with a reciprocating saw at the very stem that comes out of the ground and then patching it with cement. If anyone can send me there input thatd be great thank you.

I'd guess its an old well pump. The pressure guage and drain spigot are still common on modern ones. Are you still on a well, or have you been on city water?

If it doesn't run, you're probably fine to cut it. Test if there's still any kind of pressure by turning that spigot on, though. Only thing I'd say about filling its spot in is to try and cap it before you pour cement over it. Who's to say where it goes?

looks like an old well pump, used for either irrigation or house water supply ??? none of the output pipes are connected to outside hose bibs, or anything ??

It just goes into the ground, I do have a random steel tube on the outside of my cellar door. Perhaps that was connected to it, and maybe a tank was there? My system is city water which is not even in that room. I turned the spigot and nothing happened. The Guage reads 0, again this thing does straight into the concrete ground. If this forum picks up some traction I'll post a pic of the ground connection. Also it is not connected to any electric.

also id like to know what the pvc pipe was used for, that 90 degree elbow wasn't even glued in the pipe. I just glued a clean out on it and cut the pipe short. In case i can use it for future use.

Here's the pipe cut and added the clean out, also insulation. And here is the pipe going in the ground, and a close up of the branding

Attachments

• 20200803_183840.jpg
    20200803_183840.jpg
    816.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200803_183835.jpg
    20200803_183835.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200803_183736.jpg
    20200803_183736.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 20200803_183725.jpg
    20200803_183725.jpg
    675.6 KB · Views: 14
looks like a check valve above where it goes into the ground, so it is a well...(*if* I am right...) if it were me, I would disconnect the piping below the check valve, and cap it off, water tight....

Latest posts

Back