Can I use WD40 safely?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMC

Reaction score
I had an exterior faucet replaced. Now, the old turn off inside the house is leaking when I turn on water to the exterior. I want to try to tighten the packing nut, but it’s very old and won’t turn. Can I spray WD40 on it to try to loosen? Or will that destroy the packing? Thank you!!

Do not use WD40. It is petroleum based and not suitable.
Silicone plumbing lubricant or 'stem' lubricant are designed to not affect packing.

Do not use WD40. It is petroleum based and not suitable.
Silicone plumbing lubricant or 'stem' lubricant are designed to not affect packing.
Thank you! Could you give me an example of the type of lubricant needed? I’m a senior female homeowner, so not knowledgeable.
I googled it, but along with some silicone pastes, white lightening spray came up, which I know is petroleum based. Confusing! I think a spray might seep into the threads better than a paste to unfreeze the packing nut?

https://smile.amazon.com/Waterproof...403331&sprefix=plumbers+grease,aps,123&sr=8-5View attachment 35626
The only suitable way to deal with stiff valve that has packing is to turn water off at the main, disassemble the valve in question, and lightly lubricate the entire valve stem and packing.
There is no spray-on adequate solution. Sorry...
Ok, then if I can’t tighten this packing nut, I will have to call a plumber. I was trying not to mess with the old pipe. If I need to call
a plumber, would it be better to replace the turn off with a new one? I also worry about them putting the wrong metal with the old pipe. I don’t know what metals are incompatible. This leak is my fault, because the water was off when the plumber replaced the outside faucet, and I wasn’t smart enough to run the water long enough to see if interior shut off was still ok. Sigh. Thanks again, you’ve been helpful!

Back