Can I shorten the new anode rod?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjz

Reaction score
It's time for me to check/replace my Rheem 55 gallon water heater's anode rod.

The old rod came out pretty easily but on an angle before it hit the roof above the heater - but I was able to get it out. It was pretty 'chewed' up and needed to be replaced, but still doing its job so I felt very good.

The new Magnesium anode, however, doesn't fit at the angle I need. It pretty much has to go straight in from the top. I'll have to cut about a foot off the bottom with a hacksaw, but wonder if this will affect the performance? Will the bottom of my tank rust? I don't have a feeling for how the current flows through the water and anode rod. It's clear the new rod is about as long as the entire tank sitting just above the bottom.

Anyone know if this is o.k. to do? Otherwise I'll have to buy a new rod that is flexible.

Thanks

Cut it.

Honestly I have never replace an anode rod in a heater. been doing service work for 30+ yrs. How old is the heater. Average life is 8 to 10 yrs. But have seen some last 20+ or fail in less than 2.
Part of a rod is better than no rod. Chance be it that 6 months after you change it the heater fails anyway.

Yes you can shorten it. It won't hurt anything. Some guys throw the cut piece down the hole and let it lay on the bottom of the tank for extra protection. If it's electric don't do that because you might catch an element and short it out.

The original rod is 44 inches long and sits about an inch or so above the bottom of the tank. In order to fit the new rod, I would have to cut about a foot off to 34 inches total length. As long as it is protecting the tank all around, it's not a big deal to have to replace this rod a bit sooner (because of a foot less magnesium). The first one lasted about 5 years and had no wire exposed, but getting close.

Otherwise, I would buy a 54 inch flex magneisum rod and then cut off 10 inches to have it match the original. I would prefer to avoid spending more money on this project if the first rod will do fine albeit shorter.

They sell replacements anode rods that are chained together like links of sausages chained together so you can place in a heater in a confined space.

Yes you can shorten it. It won't hurt anything. Some guys throw the cut piece down the hole and let it lay on the bottom of the tank for extra protection. If it's electric don't do that because you might catch an element and short it out.

The original anode is 44 inches long. To fit the new rod, I would have to cut off about 10 inches making the new rod 34 inches. I am just wondering if the anode protection (electrolysis) radiates out perpendicular to the rod to the tank leaving the bottom part of the tank unprotected. The original rod traverses nearly the entire length of the tank.

I want to get value out of the anode rod I bought and if it lasts a few years even though shorter, that would be fine. The tank is 8 years old and in great shape (no external rust and no rust in the tank) from what I was able to see.

It sounds to me that you are not convinced to cut the rod. I don't think the anode rod puts anything out it just takes the attack instead of the tank. Whenever we go on a call for a rotten egg smell in the hot water we would take it out and plug it with a 3/4" brass plug unless the tank was still in warranty. I think for you to have a peace of mind on this thing that you should return it and get a flexible one like other posters suggested and cut it to the length of your tank and be done with it and not have to worry anymore about it. Hope this helps you some.

It sounds to me that you are not convinced to cut the rod. I don't think the anode rod puts anything out it just takes the attack instead of the tank. Whenever we go on a call for a rotten egg smell in the hot water we would take it out and plug it with a 3/4" brass plug unless the tank was still in warranty. I think for you to have a peace of mind on this thing that you should return it and get a flexible one like other posters suggested and cut it to the length of your tank and be done with it and not have to worry anymore about it. Hope this helps you some.

Thanks for the reply. Before I read your post I went ahead and cut the magnesium anode rod I had on hand to about 35 inches and was able to install it just fine. I'll check it in a year when it's time for normal maintenance (drain & flush). In all of the years I have had hot water heaters, I never had to buy a new one (came with the house). Simple maintenance like draining, flushing and anode replacement and the water heaters just lasted (Rheem or A.O. Smith). Sure beats the hassle of replacing one.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and insights. Project complete.

Back