Can I replace a sink cartridge with dripping shut off valves?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FixItGirl118

Reaction score
Hello.
So long story short I noticed my sink beginning to leak as it’s turned off. It’s an old Moen and I read I will need to replace the cartridge. I get the part, begin to turn the main shut offs under the sink and I am getting a little drop still. Can I still replace the cartridge even with the very little drip coming out for faulty shut off valves? And if I can will this solve my leaking sink?
I am a renter yet I have to pay out of pocket for repairs so if I can do this myself without paying for every little thing I’d appreciate it :oops:

Last edited:
Having found that the shut off below the sink doesn't top the flow completely, you know what to expect for water that will hopefully just run into your sink and down the drain. If you are okay with that, I know of no reason why a little water flow would prevent you from replacing the cartridge.
If your faucet is dripping from the spout there's a very good chance that will fix it. Not guaranteed but likely. Not being familiar with the exact design of the "old Moen".
Now if it is leaking from the stem and only when the water is turned on, then it depends on whether the stem seal is part of the cartridge. Again, I don't know exactly what it's internals look like.

I’d do it if it’s like you described, but again this water might be under pressure. Once you remove the valve you might have water gushing out like a fountain. I’d say take a picture and a short video. Make sure you shut off you valves and turn on the water from the faucet if it still drips slightly I’d at least attempt the repair.
If you want piece of mind I would say shut off the main water shut off for the property and not just at the angle stops underneath the sink.

Yes it would definitely be under pressure after shutting water off from below. But you simply open faucet to release any pressure and what you see for dripping will be what you get when you take faucet apart and remove cartridge. I have the same situation and have done it myself.

Thought maybe she was renting a house. If you open the faucet you are working on that is how much water you will
be dealing with after taking out the cartridge. All of us here have probably had to repair a faucet with some water running
out while working on it. Have some rags handy to put in the back of the faucet to divert the water toward the sink drain. You can't
have water squirting out though.

Last edited:
I have gotten the materials and I’m struggling to get this cartridge out. Everything is out and I believe I have loosened it according to instruction and have it the right way to pull it out however it’s really stuck. I can get it pulled out a bit but then I can get it the rest of the way.

voleti really has the best awnser the renter should not be responsible for repairs and if something goes sideways....who is the landlord gonna blame....who has the insurance????

I don’t know where it is in this place and my landlord isn’t much of a help atm sadly
That crossed my mind.
Well the main valve may not be drip tight either.:D
I have gotten the materials and I’m struggling to get this cartridge out. Everything is out and I believe I have loosened it according to instruction and have it the right way to pull it out however it’s really stuck. I can get it pulled out a bit but then I can get it the rest of the way.
post a picture!

Thank you for the help and confidence everyone!
I was able to get the old cartridge out without any water issues.
I had a rough time getting it out cause the rubber seals are the bottom broke and basically deainigrated-I had to get all the pieces out but once I did I was able to replace the cartridge with no issue and it runs fine without a drop!

Latest posts

Back