Can I fit a longer tub?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarplyr113

Reaction score
Hello to all reading this! I am in the second stage of finishing my basement, which is to build the bathroom. It was pre-plumbed when the house was built (2 years ago). In the construction plan, there is to be a 32" x 60" tub (as you can see in the drawing below). I would love to be able to put either a 66" or 72" tub there instead. However, the wall opposite of the drain can't be bumped out much due to the water heater and water service into the home being in the way. The only real option would be to bump out the wall that the drain is on (shown in blue in the below drawing).

My questions are: Is it an issue as far as code is concerned to have about 10 inches of one side of the tub be surrounded by tiled wall? Also, is there a way to plumb the drain of the tub without hammering out part of the basement floor to extend the drain that was pre-plumbed? If so, would it be easier to do with a drop in tub? Just trying to get some professional opinions on the feasibility of putting a larger tub there. I also put a picture of the location of where the tub will go. You can see the stub for the toilet and the hole in the ground for the tub drain. Any input is appreciated!

Basement Bathadded.PNG
0729201956c.jpg

Breaking concrete likely the only way to push past the original location.
And, not likely you could do good waterproofing on that 10" recess unless you use an acrylic tub and screw on a s.s. or good aluminum flange (flange attachment is done routinely on tubs that lack flanges).
And, reaching in to turn tub faucet on is funky imho

Latest posts

Back