Can anyone identify this Cartridge?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrecisionPlum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone identify this Cartridge?

It is from a tub and shower single valve unit. It maybe an old Moen valve,
30 plus years, but there is a good chance the handle and escutcheon plate
that says Moen is not original to the shower value.

upload_2020-1-1_16-48-55.png

Possibly Moen, it looks like the rest of the cartridge is still in the valve body. Post a picture of the valve

House Doc,

Thanks for your feedback. It is very helpful.

The inside slid right out, so I gave no thought that it was only part of the cartridge.
Also, the vid was very good as well. Now I am just wondering if it is not altogether
better to simply replace the whole unit with a Moen PosiTemp pressure-balancing
valve. Of course, I'd have to open the wall up behind the current valve in order to
access it for a replacement. I'm still mulling that option over.

Delta Repair/Rebuild - easier I think

DELTA CRYSTAL HANDLE - 2 SEATS & BALL

DELTA - WITH CARTRIDGE SYSTEM - 2 SEATS ONLY

I've been in the business of repairing stuff for over 45 years (yea, I'm old) and my go-to faucet has always been Moen. Their cartridges for single handle units have remained the same for 40 years and getting parts is very easy, and easily replaced (99% of the time:mad:). I prefer the plastic cartridge 1225 especially in a hard water are, as it's less prone to locking up in the valve body. The "Posi-temp" valve is a good choice if needed (pressure fluctuations) but also has more parts to go wrong (the pressure sensing part of the valve) especially in hard water situations. I've had to repair a few in the past. Unless you feel the need, get a new 1225 cartridge, lube it up, slide it in, new clip, install trim and you're good for another 10+ years!

If you decide to get a new valve, your existing supplies are piped pretty close to the old tiny valve, they will likely need to be plumbed farther apart, but a pro could advise on that.

I would opt for a Moentrol over Positemp.
More normal operation, push pull twist like you are used to.

Latest posts

Back