Can a leaky tank be patched?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robtosh

Reaction score
Type: 1500 gallon concrete septic tank
Home Type: 3bedroom home with 4 occupants
Depth of Tank: 4.5ft down to top of tank fom ground level (Yeah it’s deep. The original builder thought a basement toilet would be a nice addition.)

The last two times it was pumped the service tech indicated that the tank may be leaking due to the water level being low. I measured and the water level is 3ft below the top of tank. Measuring from the bottom of the tank the liquid level is 2.5ft deep (tank measure 5.5ft total height). I would think something is off and all though I can’t see the outlet pipe I’m assuming it would be much higher on the tank than 2.5ft. I have a qualified excavator that can dig up the tank but I’m curious if patching is an option. I’m looking at this option because every septic installer wants to do a full replacement which is a considerable cost because, due to county regulations, the the new tank can not be installed 4.5 ft down so everything changes and gets more expensive. Looking for an honest opionion because it seems as though each septic repair/installer is really busy and it’s not worth them taking on the job unless it’s a full replacement. The quotes are coming in at $14,000-$20,000 and I’m thinking I need to exhaust all options before going that route and would like some advice from someone that doesn’t have any skin in the game. Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

Back