Can’t turn water off

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bd2020

Reaction score
Hi need help the main on city side the nob came off and now I can’t turn it off what can I do

The answer might be “ you broke it, you pay for it “

They might tell you that they have methods to turn them off that doesn’t break the valve in the manner that you broke it.

Then again, they might say , “ we will replace it, no problem “

Might depend on policy or it might depend on who you talk to or who comes out there. Might be a judgement call.

There’s one to the house and in the water box there just one

How deep in the ground is the water meter ? Asking for a friend. 😬

It’s in a water box it not that far in the ground
Ok good.
If you have an absolute emergency and your house is flooding, chop the pipe from the water meter or beat the meter to death with a hammer or sledge hammer.

yes I’ve done it numerous times.

Ok good.
If you have an absolute emergency and your house is flooding, chop the pipe from the water meter or beat the meter to death with a hammer or sledge hammer.

yes I’ve done it numerous times.
It’s the city side why am asking just the knob fell off but it looks like I can turn it but not sure what tool to use

I have found some meters that the top of the valve would just slip off the valve like a faucet handle. The rectangle part where your wrench fits. You just put them back on and it’s all good.
It’s weird, I’ve only seen a few here. Definitely different than the usual I see.

If it’s obviously “ broken “ then ya, call the city.
This part circled , It just slips off and back on.,
3F368449-C7FA-4832-97B1-DCE80F814384.jpeg

Last edited:
I have found some meters that the top of the valve would just slip off the valve like a faucet handle. The rectangle part where your wrench fits. You just put them back on and it’s all good.
It’s weird, I’ve only seen a few here. Definitely different than the usual I see.

If it’s obviously “ broken “ then ya, call the city.
This part circled , It just slips off and back on.,
View attachment 28272
It’s the top part to turn on and off it fell off . So there’s a way to put it back on

Back