Can’t remove fitting cause of joint compound

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobObobson

Reaction score
I’m stuck on a 1 ½” bathtub drain pipe replacement project. As you can see from the picture I have a copper pipe mated to a brass (maybe bronze?), fitting which is then connected to an iron tee. I would like to unscrew the brass fitting and screw my new PVC pipe directly to the tee but I can’t get it to break free because it looks like it has pipe dope sealing them together. I tried heating it and WD-40 (no joy) and I’m currently looking for a strong arm big enough to fit my monkey wrench. In the meantime, does anybody have a suggestion on how I can get this to break loose?

Any help would be appreciated

Bob

Iron_Tee.JPG

Don't use wd-40. Use pb blaster. Let it soak, apply again in 30 minutes and let soak again. The copper adapter going into the cast iron tee appears to be in great shape, but it will take a great deal of force to unthread them. Wipe off any thread sealant that is on the threads before applying the pb blaster.

Caduceus - you mean the brass fitting is in good shape? Yeah it is, and I could leave it and buy a sealant for the PVC into the brass but I think overall it would be better if I went all PVC to the iron tee.

AP - I hear ya,... I'm taking my wrench to the hardware store now to find the right sized pipe.

yes, Bob. I meant the brass fitting. Once removed, if you decide to use a pvc male adapter, be careful not to cross-thread the connection. It is very easy to do when threading plastic fittings with metal.
I'm not sure what sealant would be used to connect the pvc to the brass fitting, the o.d. also is not compatible, so stick with converting all to pvc from the tee.
Don't forget the pb blaster. It will help tremendously.

Well I got a strong arm/cheater bar to fit my wrench but I didn't have enough room for any movement so I gave up and planned on keeping the brass fitting - just removing the copper pipe. Got the pipe out but in the process warped the fitting (doh!) so now it has to come out.
I'm going to go get some PB Blaster like Caduceus suggested but if that doesn't work I figure I'm just gonna split it and/or beat the hell out of it until it comes loose.

Anyone have a suggestion before I bring the pain?

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited:
Yep Bob - that's exactly what I did and it is now out. I guess it was the old joint compound that hardened up like concrete preventing the fitting from turning.

[Sigh of relief] Finally I can move on to the easy stuff: the new PVC. Thanks all for the advice.

Bob

Back