Bypassing diverter in old Moen Tub/Shower mixing valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3EddieB

Reaction score
I am looking to update cruddy shower/tub hardware with something more modern.

The existing fixture is a Moen with the cheap plastic knob, contractor installed in the mid-80’s when the house was built. It has a push/pull type diverter below the mixing valve. It seems that all of the newer fixtures have the diverter in the tub spout rather than in the mixing valve itself. I am trying to avoid having to replace the mixing valve since it works fine as it is and it is very difficult to access through the opening in the shower wall. I have exhausted my search for a decent quality replacement handle and escutcheon that has a provision for the diverter, so my question is this:

Is it possible to disable the diverter by simply removing the valve from its housing and then cap it off, perhaps with a screw-in plug, and then install a new handle compatible with the mixing valve and then install a new spout with its own diverter? I can’t see the part number on the mixing valve but I have attached a photo.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Attachments

• IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    852.3 KB · Views: 15
1-800-buymoen. Talk to them first. Phone call is free and they could give you a solution if that diverter is a Moen product. The moentrol valve is definitely Moen.

Thanks, Dave. I took your advice and called Moen. It turns out that they have a diverter cap part number 101100 for just this purpose.

Latest posts

Back