Bushfire Davey pump not priming

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterM

Reaction score
Hi. I have a new twin impeller Davey pump for my bushfire fighting system. The photo shows the installation that I have built. In summary: The supply tank is up the hill probably 200m away. 1.5 inch poly pipe comes down to the pump and goes through the bricked hole where I have a ball tap. Prior to this I have T'd off to the Gal riser on the right. This is where I connect to the pumps inlet. So water flows into the pump. The other Gal riser on the left is the outlet to the sprinkler system around the house. I think the problem/issue is the distance between the pump and the tank and the t bends in the line. Any suggestions? I really need to fix it asap as we are in bushfire season now. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_0649.jpg
    DSC_0649.jpg
    752.5 KB · Views: 7
If you have water flowing into the pump and out the discharge before starting the pump, then the pump is primed. Most likely you have a suction leak and are losing prime after the pump starts. Those quick connectors and hose clamps are bad about leaking in air. You can't find a suction leak by seeing where water leaks out. Water molecules are much larger than air molecules, and a suction leak will let air in but no water out.

Latest posts

Back