Burying gas line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piscean

Reaction score
we are having a plumber install a gas line for the stove. He started digging for the line. I asked him what he is going to use for burying in the ground. He said black steel wraped in PVC pipe. I looked up lot online they were suggesting CSST in PVC pipe. Since black steel is prone to leaks at the joints. Can you please suggest which is better ? The plumber said he going to bury it 1 feet and 6 inches deep and he said even If I hit the gas line by accident I will put a hole in the CSST line. This was his reasoning.

I'm not even sure if you are allowed to bury black steel any more?

Poly pipe is what we use. It is vulnerable to shovels but will last forever

It doesn't matter the method of digging, A permit is likely required. What state do you live in?

Likely a permit is required, but back to materials, here they do not like black steel because it has a much shorter life span than anything else.

black steal is permitted BUT it must be a COATED pipe, coated in its entirety

we get around that by coating the pipe with TAR

do not let him put blk pipe in the ground, in a sleeve with out it being coated

even if it is sleeved, moisture will rust it out, rain water etc

he needs to use a pvc sleeve and the yellow flex csst also. the coating on the cst can not be exposed to direct sun light. it breaks down

Last edited:
I am in Indiana.

-

403.8 Protective coating.
Where in contact with material or
atmosphere exerting a corrosive action, metallic piping and fit
-
tings coated with a corrosion-resistant material shall be used.
External or internal coatings or linings used on piping or com
-
ponents shall not be considered as adding strength

He said if he is not using a trencher he doesn't need a permit. he is using a shovel to dig a 1 and half foot under the ground.

:confused:

He is licensed, bonded/insured (hopefully), working with gas and doesn't feel he needs to pull a permit?

I see that red flag a wavin' ... :eek:

Detectable Underground Tape, Legend Caution Buried Gas Line, Yellow/Black, Material Plastic Encased Aluminum Foil, Roll Length 1000 ft., Roll Width 2 In., Thickness 5 mil, Standards OSHA 1910.144(a)

Z_9_uxfo5oy.JPG

Last edited:
We used orange poly pipe. Super easy to work with. But I'm unsure to what type of fittings you're supposed to use to terminate it though. We just clamp in on to a piece of 1/2 black iron pipe. What's the proper way to connect 3/4 poly pipe to black iron? I've tried looking around to see what to use but I'm not sure what goes with the type of pipe I'm using.

You need to use a pipe that is approved by the gas code in your area. You need to use fittings and connection methods that are approved for the type of pipe you are using by the gas code in your area. Gas is nothing to take chances with.

piscean, I would insist that your plumber pull a permit and get an inspection on this job. I don't know the code in your area, but I am rather skeptical that his intended installation method meets that code.

We used orange poly pipe. Super easy to work with. But I'm unsure to what type of fittings you're supposed to use to terminate it though. We just clamp in on to a piece of 1/2 black iron pipe. What's the proper way to connect 3/4 poly pipe to black iron? I've tried looking around to see what to use but I'm not sure what goes with the type of pipe I'm using.

It seems to require transition and riser fittings- https://www.gastite.com/us/products/underground.html

frodo-

Correct me if I am wrong. I have not been BONAFIDE CERTIFIED yet... :cool:

the pipe you are using requires fusion

not clamps...wth ...you need to tell this bozo jack leg you do not wish to get blown up in the middle of the night.

instead of him calling the inspector. you call him, tell him about the clamps on the gas line

he will be there in less than 24 hours did he install a tracer wire ? warning ribbon ?

I asked him to stop digging. I am very disappointed he didn't do his job well. Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

You need to use a pipe that is approved by the gas code in your area. You need to use fittings and connection methods that are approved for the type of pipe you are using by the gas code in your area. Gas is nothing to take chances with.

piscean, I would insist that your plumber pull a permit and get an inspection on this job. I don't know the code in your area, but I am rather skeptical that his intended installation method meets that code.

Thank you phishfood. I asked him to stop digging. I will look for another plumber.

Latest posts

Back