Building new house have no idea how to pick a toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benthenonplumber

Reaction score
They come in different heights, I know I want elongated, but is 1.28 gallons ok or should I look for 1.6 if they still exist, pressure assisted or is that over rated, I have no Idea what i'm doing. Does anyone here have a go to make and model that works good for a decent price?

I like the Gerber Viper elongated toilets. I use them in my rentals. And also in my own home. 1.6 is still available, as far as I know, but not for long.

Regarding the different heights, I found this info which may offer some help on the subject.

Height
A comfort height toilet is sometimes known as an Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) toilet because the height matches that used for ADA-compliant toilets, 17 to 19 inches from floor to seat. This is like the height of a chair. The height of a standard toilet is about 15 inches from floor to seat. The one that is right for your home depends on the height of the family members, whether anyone has physical needs, and the way that family members transfer to and from the toilet.

Best use
It may sound strange, but to find the best toilet, test it out. It should be easy to sit on and stand up from. Also, rest both feet on the floor. For this reason, a comfort height toilet will probably be the better choice for anyone who has difficulty standing from a low position, such as the elderly or disabled. A standard toilet will be the better option for a child or someone small in stature. If your feet dangle without touching, it can result in leg pain or in your legs falling asleep due to cut off circulation.

Appearance
Both comfort height and standard toilets come in a variety of styles and colors. The most popular color is white or beige since these are better for the resale value of the home. Choices include a one- or two-piece design. The two-piece is the less expensive and more traditional. The one-piece is easy to clean with a more sleek look. The inner mechanisms can also vary in either height. They can be traditional gravity flush or have pressure-assisted flushing mechanisms. You can even have bidet functionality with either toilet.

Installation
Both toilet types are installed in essentially the same way and perform best when installed by professionals. All connections between the tank and bowl should be tight and secure, and the flapper and flush valve should be working properly. All water connections should be leak free.

Costs
While some toilets can be purchased for under $100, these are usually lower quality. Toilets range between $150 and $300 for comfort height models and $220 and $370 for standard versions.

The best brands for comfort height toilets are Toto, Kohler, and American Standard, ranging in price from $256 to $287. Three of the best selling brands of standard height toilets are made by Toto, Drake, and American Standard. They range from $279 to $376.

For example, a comfort height, elongated bowl, two-piece Kohler toilet will cost approximately $168. The cost of installation will be about $178 for a total cost of $346. On the other hand, a standard height, elongated, two-piece American Standard toilet will cost approximately $170. The cost of installation will be the same for a total cost of $348.

Constipation Problems
People with constipation issues will find that a standard seat is the best option for evacuating the bowel completely. This is because bowel movements are facilitated when the hips are slightly below the height of the knees in a squat position. In this posture, the anorectal angle, the position of the rectum in relation to the anus, is at the optimum position for complete defecation. Also, this squatting position has been proven to prevent hemorrhoids. If a comfort height seat is used, a step stool is needed to mimic that position. A step stool will also accommodate a child or shorter adult in a home with a comfort height toilet.

We love our 1.6 Kohler one piece units we put in over 8 years ago. They work flawlessly and do an excellent job with not leaving sediment behind.

Good luck ordering a basic Kholer 1.6 gallon toilet. I ordered one from Home Depot 2 weeks ago and am still waiting. You can't find a 1.6 gallon flush basic toilet anywhere as far as I can tell. But they have dozens and dozens of 1.2 gallon toilets in stock.

You live in the wrong state.
I see you are in Melbourne! Cool, I'm in Satellite Beach. Have you noticed you can't buy 1.6 gallon Kholers anywhere? But since you are a professional, I guess you have access to the Vortens so you don't notice? I do like the 1.6 gallon Vorten. Do you think we have no 1.6 gallon toilets because of all the new unit contruction and remodels in our area?

Nobody wants a Kohler toilet that’s owned a Kohler toilet. That’s my motto
LOL. Your advice has been great so I trust you. But I don't know how to buy a Vorten without an account.(I'm not a professional). I only have one Vorten for my guest bathroom because I paid a plumber to install it. I prefer to install my own toilet for my current project to save money and just don't know what else to do. Ferguson here only carries Proflow or you just order the 500 dollar Toto's.

LOL. Your advice has been great so I trust you. But I don't know how to buy a Vorten without an account.(I'm not a professional). I only have one Vorten for my guest bathroom because I paid a plumber to install it. I prefer to install my own toilet for my current project to save money and just don't know what else to do. Ferguson here only carries Proflow or you just order the 500 dollar Toto's.

Go to where they sell Vorten and take some money with you. They should sell to you no problem.

If they don’t......private message me their info and I’ll call it in for you. I’d need your name too.

Go to where they sell Vorten and take some money with you. They should sell to you no problem.

If they don’t......private message me their info and I’ll call it in for you. I’d need your name too.
Thank you sir! I'll let you know if I need your help. Appreciate you!

just don’t ask too many questions and go in there already knowing exactly what you want.

Be cool and act like you’ve been there 100 times. Walk in like you own the joint, Kinda like getting into a bar when you’re underage 🤣

first off do not buy a toilet for the look.
buy it for the flush
here is a web page for you
https://www.toiletadvice.com/
Wow that website is recommending 600g and 800g toilets as top rated, SMH. I would not by a toilet that flushes less than 1000g. Not to mention in my humble opinion Toto is highly overrated. I don't have Vortens in my area but we use Gerber and have been extremely happy with them.

Wow that website is recommending 600g and 800g toilets as top rated, SMH. I would not by a toilet that flushes less than 1000g. Not to mention in my humble opinion Toto is highly overrated. I don't have Vortens in my area but we use Gerber and have been extremely happy with them.

They are overrated and so is the plumber that has a forum that pushes them. He’s an idiot.

Back