Building a BBQ/Bar in my back yard.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be an interesting touch, for sure!

I would be wary of water getting into the wood, though. I don't know that you could get a durable and long term water proof finish onto it.

That is a great looking bowl, but leave it in the kitchen. To use it without ruining it, you would have to apply several coats of resin or other form of waterproofing, and with the flat bottom, the water will just sit ther until you either wipe it out manually, or let it seep into the wood and it would rot in no time.

It is obvious you have talent, so why don't you try building a vessel sink with concrete?

My original plan was a concrete sink but I am not sure if that is what I want. The wooden bowl is not flat in the bottom just not as much a slope. I would give it several coats of the same product I use on my boat and that holds up in much worse conditions so I am still up in the air with the idea. I am going to give it alot of thought today and see if I can make it work otherwise I will go back to plan A of the concrete sink. Thanks for your guys input.

OK I have decided to give the bowl a chance. I went back and forth all day yesterday and decided to drill the hole and recess the flange on the drain just to see if it would work and it drains perfect, not a drop of water left behind. So far I have the hole drilled and flange recessed and three coats of marine varnish satin. Today i will toss a few more coats on and hope for the best. I went down to Habitat for humanity and grabbed some misc faucet parts for the contraption I am putting together I will get some pics of that later but here is a pic of the bowl sink for now, sorry it's blurry I have been taking all these with my phone since it is quicker to get online.

25.jpg

I'll be the first to admit, it looks great! I guess if it does break down, you could always go to plan # 2, right?

Plan 2 is always an option but I think if I take care of this one it will last a long while. I need to pick up one more piece for the faucet set up and then I will get a few pics of that part.

Well I just got through with a bunch of grinding on that counter top here are a couple pics, I think it looks pretty good but it still needs more, I just ran through one of my disc's.

26.jpg

27.jpg

The word "great" doesnt really do justice to how great this is turning out to be!

I got my garage done this weekend (check my thread for pics), and talked to my neighbor who does custom concrete floors and such. He said a new "thing" is using a high strenght concrete skim coat over regular kitchen countertops.. its colorable and might be what my kitchen gets soon... :)

Very nice work. The bowl is a good touch.

Everyone is invited but I am not paying for gas.:) I have been neglecting it over the last couple of weeks since I have been working alot but hopefully the moons will align and I will have time off and money at the same time soon.

Well them I'm out. The XJ i guzzling gas right now, and I fear I wouldn't have enough to make it. Maybe a little help? :D

Tell you what. I will ship a beer half way so you only have to drive that far to enjoy a beer with us.:p

Tell you what. I will ship a beer half way so you only have to drive that far to enjoy a beer with us.:p

I'll be sending you my mailing address. Who can pass up free beer?

Well I figured I haven't even touched this thing in a month so I am going to hit up the hardware store and try and get something done today, wish me luck.

I have gotten the patio-bug up my butt lately, and have drawn several VERY detailed sketches of what I want to do... unfortunately I have a $5,000 mind working on a $500 budget... :(

So my wife and I talked about a good starting compromise. Hopefully I will have some updates of my own to give later in the summer. But its not going to be as intricate as yours...

I have gotten the patio-bug up my butt lately, and have drawn several VERY detailed sketches of what I want to do... unfortunately I have a $5,000 mind working on a $500 budget... :(

So my wife and I talked about a good starting compromise. Hopefully I will have some updates of my own to give later in the summer. But its not going to be as intricate as yours...

I wish I had $500 bucks to sink into this project, on another note instead of working in the barron desert of my back yard I added a couple window boxes and a bunch of flowers to the already nice looking front yard.

My update. Still have not done anything in the last month except shots of tequila one night with this thing. Although I have gathered some supplies.

Latest posts

Back