Builder at fault?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guerrieb

Reaction score
One year ago we had a small home on our property and knocked down to a lot and build a new home on the same footprint. We just had a total backup of the main sewer line. Issue is that they tied into the old terra cotta line less than a foot out from the new home which had a trap that was buried (not sure when) and not vented and existed under the porch. There was no vent anywhere at the home to access the trap and the porch had to be torn up as well as the buried trap and replaced.

In reading code, it seems that for this project there should have been a vertical vent accessible to the line at a minimum. Thinking the builder should have inspected the line as well, given it was literally only about ten feet from the home to the city's sewer line as we live in a downtown.

I would appreciate if this is a valid assessment based on the situation or if tying in as the builder did is simply commonplace even given no vent and use of old line. Thank you in advance.

I'm thinking the builder was not the plumber

what you described was not in the plan

but it should have been brought up
In conversation that all should have been c hanged
to new pipe

I just replaced all the cast iron until I got to new pipe
in my brother inlaws house just good practice

also had to dig up another basement and change all the clay
Pipe good luck

Back