Broken Toilet Stack in Crawlspace

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDKirk

Reaction score
I thought I was nearing the end of a bathroom renovation, which included replacing a tiny corner shower. After removing the old shower, I discovered the floor was rotting underneath it, so I cut away the floor down to the joists and replaced the rotted subfloor. While the floor was open, I stuck my camera into the crawlspace and took some pictures of the vicinity.

Now, toward the end of the renovation, which included putting down a new vinyl plank floor, I was studying those photographs and discovered that the wye connecting the toilet stack to its vent is broken. I can only think it broke because of the floor shifting, which I know has occurred. This is north Texas where the ground shifts seasonally. One month, doors stick or won't latch, six months later, they're fine.

I figure I'll have to tear up the floor at the toilet to replace that wye. That crawlspace is non-navigable. Anyone have any helpful tips?

Attachments

• Broken Toilet.jpg
    Broken Toilet.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
Turn your electrical power off before you start work so you don’t get electrocuted.

Might be some bad wiring under there you don’t know about.

Turn your electrical power off before you start work so you don’t get electrocuted.

Might be some bad wiring under there you don’t know about.

Yes, that's actually an old fabric "Romex" cable you can see running right across the pipes in the foreground.

Cut the pipe facing the bottom of the wye flush with that fitting a 90° ???? Drill the pipe out of the 90° cut the branch about 4" away from the wye and the other side of the wye about 4" away, get a new wye glue short pieces into each end the the wye into the 90° and use 4 band no hub couplings ontne other ends

Thanks, Geofd.

I've replaced the wye and used rubber hubs to connect it to the toilet stack and the vent. The floor (to which the toilet stack is attached) and the wall (to which the vent is attached) move seasonally independently of each other, so I think the rubber boots will provide a bit of flexibility for that movement.

I also discovered that old valve that had been hidden in the crawlspace. It was opened, so I traced it to the air conditioner...I think. There was also a live receptacle under there with an outlet style 'way before my time.

Attachments

• 20230507_195012.jpg
    20230507_195012.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks, Geofd.

I've replaced the wye and used rubber hubs to connect it to the toilet stack and the vent. The floor (to which the toilet stack is attached) and the wall (to which the vent is attached) move seasonally independently of each other, so I think the rubber boots will provide a bit of flexibility for that movement.

I also discovered that old valve that had been hidden in the crawlspace. It was opened, so I traced it to the air conditioner...I think. There was also a live receptacle under there with an outlet style 'way before my time.
Only think I would have done differently would have been 4 band stainless steel no hub couplings, they are much stronger than those fernco's but they will work , my fault for not fully describing but it looks good!!!

Back