Broken screws from overflow plate - how remove?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamAsks

Reaction score
Hi, due to sewage backup in basement tub, sewer guy had to pry off the Gerber overflow plate because the screws would not turn. Now I have two broken rusted screws that I was not able to unscrew with DW40 or a dedicated rust remover. One handyman didn't want to drill out the screws lest it damage the drain pipe. See the attached picture. Any other ideas? Thanks!Inkedtub screws_LI.jpg

Drilling out carefully is the answer.

Those little screw stubs look too skinny to be grabbed by an EZ Out or similar broken screw extractor.

Start by drilling a very thin hole, as near to center of broken screw as possible.
Then go up slightly in bit size, and use side pressure as needed to improve centering of the bit in broken machine screw stub.

You might need to use three or four different size bits.

The holes you are left with might be able to receive new machine thread screws.
You can sometimes use a few sacrificial screws, to clean out the threads of the hole, then toss those screws.

But the holes might be too rough and raggedy, so you might end up needing to just force in some stainless sheet metal screws, just a whisker wider than the drilled holes.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Jeff. The stainless sheet metal screw suggestion answered my concern about what if I drill it out and the new screws won't work.

Drilling those small holes without breaking the drill bit will be a challenge. Best of luck !
A stepped drill bit might be stronger to get the hole started if you can find one the right diameter

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back