Broken Kitchen Sink - advice?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bshartsis

Reaction score
I was hoping someone might point me in the right direction to get started fixing something - as pictured, the pipe under my kitchen sink has worn down and is broken and crumbling, leaking water when the sink drains.

I assume I need to replace this. How difficult is this to do for someone with little experience, are there any special tools, and what part do I get to replace this (or how do go about identifying what part I need to get)? Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_111519.jpg
    IMG_20200524_111519.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 24
What does it attach to just above the picture . Cut 1.5 inch galvanized with sawzall . Use a 1,1/2" X1,1/4" fernco adaptor to connect a new tubular plastic p-trap which can be purchased at any hardware / big box store . Not rocket science but experience helps .

Post a picture of the connection just under the sink. Why's it come down at such an angle like that?

Why cut? Wouldn't it be easier if he unscrewed everything?
Would probably need to heat the joints, but much more do-able for novice.
If you think you can get a pipe wrench in there to screw things apart knock your self out . Cut that crap out and move on with life . My small 12 volt Milwaukee sawzall would make quick work of that . Galvanized corrodes together over time , 1/2 " or 3/4 " is one thing . 1,1/2" or 2" is another story

It looks like all you have to replace is that unusual 45 degree elbow that is falling apart.

All the connections look like slip joints, which should unscrew with channel lock pliers.

Yes, a wider angle view or several, showing all the drain plumbing, might explain why you have that weird elbow there.

Thanks, everyone, I was able to get a replacement installed without too much trouble!

Latest posts

Back