Broken 90 deg elbow

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go slow with the socket saver or it’ll melt the plastic rather than cut it. Don’t go too deep or you’ll ruin it....

That will be fine, use a long sweep 90 and install a test tee cleanout above it. If possible put the cleanout high enough to get a nice bucket under it.....not down at the floor.

always leave room to cut between fittings if you can. This makes repairs or additions easier sometimes.

Things like that separate the pros from the Lowe’s crowd.
I never thought about the height being high enough for a bucket. Good idea

If the fitting is not supported on the outside you’ll likely break the fitting.

Heating it helps and also putting a large hose clamp around the outside of the fitting helps to support it.

If it’s solvent welded properly it’s very difficult to get it apart with a unsupported hub......
I did this countless time and never trouble this is how to do it

He makes poor solvent welds. No way he would take my joints apart after an hour with a pipe wrench.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t use much solvent if any when he made that video. Just primer.

When trying to remove pvc from an unsupported socket proceed with caution.......especially if it was put together properly.

He wouldn’t get these apart with a screwdriver without breaking the hub.
I live in a warm climate and when we install pvc we coat the pipe snd fitting then pause for a few seconds. Then aggressively work the solvent into the surface of the pipe with the applicator. Then assemble, twist and hold. Then you wipe the excess solvent off the joint.

In the video the guy is using brand new fittings., Pvc gets brittle when it ages......so in the real world.....it’s more susceptible to cracking.

Youtube can’t fool a true professional. I know the materials I’ve worked with for nearly 40 yrs everyday.
56413118-625E-4947-A95A-89640424925A.png

Last edited:
Does this work for abs?
Yes. Be careful.....

Plastic that’s not put together will usually comes apart pretty easy.

Depends on who installed it. Most people don’t install plastic by the book.

Last edited:
The pipe joint in his video looked like it was joined with primer only.

He also does not know how to use a vice.

The piece should have been rotated 90 degrees, then clamped in the vice.

So now he is squeezing the side walls.

This way the piece would not twist as he is beating on it.

And he is saying to make laborious cuts in the pipe stub with a mini hack saw.

When he has a multitool right there!

Just change to the appropriate blade.

He also repeats everything several times, very redundant, and even more long-winded than me, haha.

Back