Branford white gas direct vent water heater issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffmattero76

Reaction score
Hello:
My son bought a new to him house, and we are doing the rehab of it, which is just about complete. Today, we drained about 10 gallons out of it, refilled it and attempted to fire it up. 8 am not sure if it is called a direct vent or a power vent, but there is a blower on the top of the water heater that expels the exhaust out the side wall.

In any case, we turn it on, the piezo electric spark ticks, and the pilot lights and stays lit. However, the burner never lights. The exhaust smells of natural gas. Not sure how to attach pictures
. It is a Branford White Model number M1TW50S6FBN. It does not have a thermocouple. If someone can direct me how to attach pictures, I would appreciate it.
In the meantime, any ideas of what to check?

Update - I removed and cleaned the burner assembly and tube from the gas valve. Replaced it. Now, the pilot lights and stays lit, but there is a long delay (literally a minute or more) before the burner lights. It seems to me that the pilot light is not large enough or strong enough or close enough to reliably light the burner. . Is there a way to adjust the pilot?

Call B/W that unit was discontinued in 2015. No,you can’t adjust the pilot. Does it heat after that one minute start up? I’m mean, is it heating correctly to temp?

It heated for about 30 minutes, the burner shut off, and then it would only light intermittantly.

I am going to try cleaning the tube that takes gas to the pilot to see if there might be a partial clog in that that is causing the pilot flame to be smaller than normal. If that doesn't correct the problem, I will just replace the water heater.

Please explain what you mean by ""Call B/W that unit was discontinued in 2015". Was there some type of recall of this model?

Thanks for your reply.

Not a “clog”. Probably a pressure switch issue. Don’t know about a recall, but the will. And they probably have seen your problem and can help you quickly.

Thanks again. I believe I have it fixed. Not sure how it would have happened, but it seems like the pilot was not aimed directly at the burner. I adjusted it, and it fired right up, and seems to be working perfectly now.

Again, thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back