Bottom Mount Faucet stuck

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferruci

Reaction score
Good evening,
I'm attempting to remove an old bottom-mount faucet and am stuck. I've removed the handles, escutcheon, etc. But there seems to be a metal washer (?) or something that is preventing me from dropping the faucet down. I can turn it (sort of), with a vice-grip, but it does not appear to be threaded, so I think it is just turning in place.
Any thoughts, advice, sympathy would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

Steve, welcome to the forum.

If you have a camera phone or a digital camera, posting some pictures of what you are dealing with is a big help.

phishfood,
Right, should have done that - here are two. Hopefully, you can see the metal ring against the counter top - it appears to be the only thing preventing the faucet from falling through. It turns, with some effort, but I can't see that it is threaded or not.
Thanks, s

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2390.jpg

It looks to me like those washers are threaded.

Check underneath and see if there are nuts on the bottom that are tightened up against the sink. If so, loosen these with a pliers or basin wrench, and then the washers on top should come off with ease.

There is nothing underneath that looks to me like nuts - I'm attaching a photo of the underneath, and maybe you'll see something I'm not.
Thanks for taking the time and have a good 4th.
sIMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

Thanks, John. The stem does unscrew. Problem is, I still can't remove those rings to the left and right, so while the whole thing is much looser, I still can't figure out how to remove the faucet. I may try snipping the rings.

s

Thanks, phishfood and John, managed to remove the faucet.
Cheers,
s

I did, John. I just couldn't see how else it would come off. Maybe if I had removed the plastic parts on top I might have been able to unscrew them with an allen wrench, but snipping the rings seemed easier, since I was not going to use the faucet again.

Back