Booster Pump wiring help.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redlogger

Reaction score
I recently bought a Grundfos CMBE 5-62 booster pump. It's a 200 - 240 volt pump. I was expecting a L1 L2 neutral and ground hook up, but this thing is only showing 1 line , neutral, and ground. Has any one had experience hooking these up? Thanks in advance for any help.

Crazy right? Not an electrician, but looking forward to learning about this.
PE protective earth ground. easy
L= Line (hot leg 1)
N= should be neutral...so what gives?

Crazy right? Not an electrician, but looking forward to learning about this.
PE protective earth ground. easy
L= Line (hot leg 1)
N= should be neutral...so what gives?
Thanks for the response breplum. So what that gives is 120 volts, not 240 volts. That is the confusion.

Here is the installation instructions for that pump.
Crap!!! Won't let me give y0u the direct link. Go here to "sub familes" Scroll down to the CME pumps. Look at the bottom for installation instruction page.
https://product-selection-classic.grundfos.com/catalogue.product families.cmb, cmbe.html?time=1628859117073

Best I can tell it can be wired for 115V or 230V single phase. But it is not clear. I am afraid this is just the first of many problems you will have with that $3000.00 Tar Baby. It only builds 112' or 48 PSI max anyway, so I hope you don't need much boosting from the incoming pressure. It is a variable speed system which is designed to look/sound cool and fleece people of their hard earned money at the same time. You would have been much better off with a $500 jet pump and a $440.00 PK1A kit to make it constant pressure. Not only would it have been a 1/3rd of the prices but would last many times longer and give better service. Plus you wouldn't need an electrical engineer to figure out the wiring.
:)
PK1A on jet pump.jpg

Here is the installation instructions for that pump.
Crap!!! Won't let me give y0u the direct link. Go here to "sub familes" Scroll down to the CME pumps. Look at the bottom for installation instruction page.
https://product-selection-classic.grundfos.com/catalogue.product families.cmb, cmbe.html?time=1628859117073

Best I can tell it can be wired for 115V or 230V single phase. But it is not clear. I am afraid this is just the first of many problems you will have with that $3000.00 Tar Baby. It only builds 112' or 48 PSI max anyway, so I hope you don't need much boosting from the incoming pressure. It is a variable speed system which is designed to look/sound cool and fleece people of their hard earned money at the same time. You would have been much better off with a $500 jet pump and a $440.00 PK1A kit to make it constant pressure. Not only would it have been a 1/3rd of the prices but would last many times longer and give better service. Plus you wouldn't need an electrical engineer to figure out the wiring.
View attachment 30938

Thanks valveman, the link at Grundfos is a PDF of the instructions that came with the pump. Still clear as mud.
A jet pump was my original thought, but couldn't find one that had enough head.
Cheers

I would look on the rating plate that can be found on the pump.

if it says 240/120 then it can be wired either way.

If it just reads 240 then L2N is a hot leg.

Too many instruction books cover several models. I hate that crap.

I would look on the rating plate that can be found on the pump.

if it says 240/120 then it can be wired either way.

If it just reads 240 then L2N is a hot leg.

Too many instruction books cover several models. I hate that crap.
Two wax, the rating plate says 200 - 240 volts. I first wired it normal L1, L2, and ground. Then looked closer and the connections are labeled N and Line only.

I’d wire it two hots and a ground. Just like a 240v water heater.

Or you could call the clowns.....

Thanks valveman, the link at Grundfos is a PDF of the instructions that came with the pump. Still clear as mud. A jet pump was my original thought, but couldn't find one that had enough head.

Almost any jet pump can build more than the 112' that pump can make. The J15S makes 83 PSI which is 192' of head. How much are you needing?

Valveman, I just wanted to say that I so appreciate and respect your knowledge and support that you offer here.

OP you got to call Grundfos. Or better yet, take Valveman's advice, return the pump, pay less and get a much better system from him!!!!!

Valveman, I just wanted to say that I so appreciate and respect your knowledge and support that you offer here.

Thanks! Just trying to help. But that also means I am always "hocking my wares" on the Internet. But that is where people with problems go, and the CSV solves lots of those problems. Main problem is nobody knows what the problems are until they experience them. I usually get a call about a problem with a VFD after they are up and running for at least a few minutes. Lol! But the problems of variable speed pumps are many and can start with just how to wire the darn things. There are even many different opinions in the industry on that, mostly about grounding.

VFD's are great when they are working properly. They produce constant pressure at variable flow rates just like a Cycle Stop Valve. How could I not like that? VFD's are also very useful on things other than pumps like conveyor belts and escalators. I even have some on my plastic injection machines which are amazing. However, yesterday one threw alert that just said "INVERTER ABNORMAL ALARM" shutting down my whole plant. So, I am not talking very positively about VFD's today.

Besides selling little inexpensive Cycle Stop Valve is not like getting the big bucks for VFD’s, and I gotta keep the groceries on the table. :)

Thanks! Just trying to help. But that also means I am always "hocking my wares" on the Internet. But that is where people with problems go, and the CSV solves lots of those problems. Main problem is nobody knows what the problems are until they experience them. I usually get a call about a problem with a VFD after they are up and running for at least a few minutes. Lol! But the problems of variable speed pumps are many and can start with just how to wire the darn things. There are even many different opinions in the industry on that, mostly about grounding.

VFD's are great when they are working properly. They produce constant pressure at variable flow rates just like a Cycle Stop Valve. How could I not like that? VFD's are also very useful on things other than pumps like conveyor belts and escalators. I even have some on my plastic injection machines which are amazing. However, yesterday one threw alert that just said "INVERTER ABNORMAL ALARM" shutting down my whole plant. So, I am not talking very positively about VFD's today.

Besides selling little inexpensive Cycle Stop Valve is not like getting the big bucks for VFD’s, and I gotta keep the groceries on the table. :)
I want to thank all you guys for your help. Turns out Twowaxhack was right about going with two hots to the pump, despite what the install directions say. But that didn't work the first time I tried it. Had 122 volts on each leg and no go. Then I thought I'll try another breaker...... That did the trick.
Valveman thanks for the recommendation J15s, That will do the trick when this pump burns up. Right now its pumping water up 120' to a 5000gal. storage tank as intended.
Hope this thread helps somebody down the road. Thanks again

Back