Boiler piping order change

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naphtul

Reaction score
Hello,
My boiler was leaking from the pressure relief valve and tapping on the expansion tank hinted that I should replace it.
Its date was 17 years ago, so I thought this should be an easy fix.
When I tried taking it apart, everything was corroded, and the pipes were clogged and broke off.
I went and bought all the joints and nipples to replace all the clogged and corroded pipes around it.
The problem is that the tees in the old setup were so close together, and I couldn't find a shorter nipple out there, and the other pipes won't align properly with the new nipple's added length.

I was thinking to change my existing setup and switch the position of the expansion tank and the water line-in (where I assume the water comes from).
Is there something wrong with my desired setup?
Original Setup.jpgDesired Setup.jpg

Thank you in advance for your swift response, as I am 48 hours without heat / hot water.

Update: I couldn't wait any longer, so I installed it this way and it seems to be working.
If you see anything wrong with this, or that I may damage my boiler or anything else, please let me know. Thank you!
IMG_20230313_204508.jpg

Update: I couldn't wait any longer, so I installed it this way and it seems to be working.
If you see anything wrong with this, or that I may damage my boiler or anything else, please let me know. Thank you!
View attachment 39559
you made a mistake the safety relief valve must connected to the boiler directly no other stuff piping or fitting in the way that could be blocked . re do your piping .

If you are interested, Naphtul, on a warm day perhaps re-pipe as shown in the quick pencil sketch below. I apologize that I'm not the best drawer of things. Not shown are the down-stream zone valves, if any, and the radiation. They go after the pump. The return piping isn't shown.
Your zone valves can be on the supply or return. If zone pumps, instead of valves, are used, they go on supply, with flow control valves.

With this set up, often called "Pumping Away", your pressure will be perfect and purging air is easy and quick. You won't have to ever use the on-radiation bleeder valves (coin vent, Maid O Mist, etc.) Your system will be silent.

As Arctic Bill said, it is very important that the relief valve be installed on the boiler. Some boilers, however, don't have an extra port for the relief valve. If that's your situation, install the relief valve on the return side as close to the boiler as possible and with absolutely no valves between it and the boiler- Pretty much like you piped yours.
(Supply side is OK, but on return the water is a little cooler, thus the diaphragm in the valve might last longer.) Test this valve at least yearly. I also think I see a low water cut off device. Excellent!

CAUTION! Boring Stuff Ahead!
You mentioned corrosion and clogged pipes.
There should be none unless air is somehow getting in or the water is replaced often.

An idea for you is sodium molybdate treatment after fixing any reasons new water is entering. Not only is sodium molybdate an oxygen scavenger, in the presence of oxygen it will create and deposit a protective oxide coating on the ferrous parts of the system.

At high concentrations, it's a very effective cleaner, scrubbing off the gunk on the pipes and suspending the sludge in the water. While cleaning it will start to form a protective coating, filling in any rust pitting inside the piping & other ferrous components.

For the initial clean-up, flush the cold system, paying special attention to the boiler where sludge collects. Then install a wye-strainer on the boiler piping return side. Add sodium molybdate to about 300 mg/L. Higher is OK, but not beneficial, cost wise.

Let the system circulate several days. You can do it with the heat off if this job is a summer time project. After some days, clean the strainer's screen and flush the system again. Run it a few more days if the screen had debris. Clean the screen one more time.

Now, install the sodiuym molybdate to about 100 - 150 mg/L. Any time new water is added, re-test the concentration or measure water removed to know how much chemical to add back.

How It Works-
Sodium molybdate is an oxygen scavenger, holding the molecules in suspension until they react with ferrous ions. It forms a ferrous molydbate complex which oxidizes and deposits a ferric molybdate complex combined with ferric oxide. It's insoluable, thus the protective deposits. This coating is passive until oxygen tries to get to the iron in the piping, pump and expansion tank- boiler, too. You will see it as a brown powdery substance inside the pipes next time you open the system. It'll be inside the copper, too but doesn't cause problems soldering.

Results-
I've worked on industrial systems that have constant new water added (and new molybdate added automatically to maintain 100-150 mg/L) Pumps didn't cavitate, welds on piping didn't rust, threaded joints came apart easily with no breaking. The spray from the cooling towers' mist cleaned off the exchangers quite easily, too. Even the dreaded copper-to-steel pipe connections showed no galvanic corrosion.

I maintain 125 mg/L at home and my early 1950's boiler has no rust or sludge on the bottom. The 1920's steel piping comes apart easily for modifications. I have not lost a pump nor an expansion tank since I started doing this. (I also have a Spirovent instead of an air scoop.)

BTU decrease is negligible, as demonstrated in lab testing. The coating is an excellent conductor of heat.

It may be worth the time and cost to protect your system. Shop around for cost, as some places have fancied up versions with other stuff added.

I hope this helps you get your system optimized for low cost operation and longevity.

Paul
PS: Your pipe work looks very nice in the photos. Very professional joints!

Attachments

• Near Boiler Piping Example.pdf
    28.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thank you, Paul (@Bird Doo Head) for this thorough (and not boring) explanation.
I will definitely look into that and ask my Dad, who is a Chemist, to look into that as well.
(And thanks for the compliments about my pipe work. ;-) )

Thank you, Paul (@Bird Doo Head) for this thorough (and not boring) explanation.
I will definitely look into that and ask my Dad, who is a Chemist, to look into that as well.
(And thanks for the compliments about my pipe work. ;-) )
Be sure to let us know what your Dad said. It's always good to learn from others.
Paul

Latest posts

Back