Blue water coming up from drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizard

Reaction score
Last night blue water came up out of the drain in both my bathrooms in the tub, it filled up all the way to the top of the tub then went back down.

Also, clear water came pouring out of the bottom of the toilet, not the top, it came from the bottom around the floor.

I have little kids so I am worried about what the blue water could be? Could it be toxic?

Also, my apartment is unusually warm, don't know if that could be related, could it?

What is going on?

Thanks!

Call your landlord. Some idiot is using very toxic chemicals to try to clear a main line clog. The water coming up is all VERY toxic! Do not touch it and have landlord clean up the hazardous waste.

Oh no, I did call the landlord last night and he said someone was coming but they never came. I am not home until tonight.

What needs to be done to clean it up so I can know if they are doing it right?

I have three little kids...

How toxic is it? Is it stay in a hotel tonight toxic or...

Thanks again!

It's likely acid. I'd say someone is loading the system with Drain-o or Liquid Plumber. DO NOT get it on your skin! When its all off the floor, clean thoroughly with soap/water.

Okay thanks guys!

There was a lot of this blue water, enough to fill up two bathtubs... Oh and landlord finally got back to me, plumber to the rescue today for sure!

Last edited:
Are you a 1st floor unit below other units. Defiantly have a sewer stoppage that needs to be cleared.
Toxic?? maybe, but not likely.
Harmful?? Yeah, came from the sewer system, so don't drink it.

Could be one of those blue gel tabs that people put in their toilet tanks.
toilet malfunctioned and ran continuously.

Maybe the guy upstairs just got back from a Smurf party and was washing his make up off. :eek:

Okay thanks guys!

There was a lot of this blue water, enough to fill up two bathtubs... Oh and landlord finally got back to me, plumber to the rescue today for sure!

Did you fix the issue, I'm just curious as to what all the blue liquid was. lol

Did you fix the issue, I'm just curious as to what all the blue liquid was. lol

lol Mr_David was right it was a Smurf party.

But no a plumber came and said it wasn't toxic but didn't really explain what it was, but there have been no problems since.

It came from the drains not the faucets and I am on the bottom floor with several units above me, all units on the bottom floor were affected not just me, so I don't know I was just so happy to have it fixed!

Latest posts

Back