bleeding gas line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcyes

Reaction score
what is the proper way to bleed all the gas out when switching fittings/pipes ? A gas furnace is the only thing connected in the gas line.

Shutting off the meter and opening any valve to depressurize to atmosphere is all that is needed.

there is only one shut off valve before the meter and one shut off valve at the furnace, nothing in between.
Would the best option be shut off both valves and remove one of the fittings near the meter to depressurize to atmosphere?

Turn your furnace off. Shut both valves off. See if there's a union fitting near the valve at the furnace. Those are always the first thing to crack open.

union fitting yes
but ideally would like to release the gas outside of the house instead of inside

I heard of let the furnace run to burn off the remaining gas but this method might possible damage the furnace (I think)

what is the proper way to bleed all the gas out when switching fittings/pipes ? A gas furnace is the only thing connected in the gas line.
Without a bit more detail, its hard to know how much piping you're bleeding or purging. If only a few fittings at the furnace, and there are no flames within 5', simply bleed it to the furnace area and wait 15 minutes. If more than that, consider temporarily connecting a garden hose and bleeding to the outside. It will take a hose thread x pipe thread adapter to connect the hose. Don't take any chances, better to be safe than sorry. If you bleed the line in the house be prepared to explain to the wife why she smells gas!

the total length of the pipe is around 40ft from meter to furnace, maybe 3 / 4 elbows in between, I hope not so much gas inside.

might use duct tape and garden hose as you said, say 15-30 mins for the gas to be gone with 10' garden hose?

many reason to not let gas in the house, wife sure is the main reason :)

Latest posts

Back