Black drip streak in toilet bowl

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clef

Reaction score
Anyone know what this is? I thought it was due to an old flapper valve so I replaced it but a month later still getting this black drip a day after cleaning.0B15E5F7-7A20-41E4-8B30-B7F402E8573D.jpeg

How do I get rid of it? Everytime I clean it just comes back the following day.

Try putting a fairly strong concentration of bleach in your tank and then flushing. Turn the water to the toilet off. Manually lift the flapper in the tank to let some of the water out. Dump a good amount of bleach. Then use the lever to flush and hold it down. Maybe a couple rounds of this.

Other than that i don't have a solution. You could try tiny pipe cleaners to clean the little holes in the rim.

When you live with dogs, you get very good at keeping the lid closed. That may make this issue worse. Agree with the bleach and that this is likely mildew, but would be more conservative with the quantity, maybe 1/4 cup or less. It can cause corrosion of any metal parts in the tank and start other colors, like green. It does need to sit for a while, at least 20-30 mins. before flushing, and you may need to do this periodically. On an odd note: I found this problem occurred after using one of the "sticky" bowl cleaners, the gel blobs that are intended to dissolve slowly. Apparently there was a form of mildew that had an appetite for the gel.

Thanks guys. After several attempts with this spread out over a few months I feel like I am finally starting to see some diminished returns with the mildew so I will probably increase frequency to see if I can't knock it out for good.

The source of the mildew could be airborne, so eliminating it permanently may not be an option - this may be a maintenance cleaning.

Latest posts

Back