Black ‘water’ & brown sludge in central heating F&E tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddwarf4ever

Reaction score
Hello

thought I would check the central heating F&E tank while doing some radiator work, the RAD water was nice and clean, however the F&E tank in the loft, had a thick black liquid, seemed thicker than water, plus some floating brown sludge. I have cleaned this all,out very carefully and disinfected the tank, as a precaution. But would like to know why the F&E tank was in this condition with the radiator water clear ? The outlet and return from the F&E tank have been ‘ linked‘ some time ago by my plumber, as there was an excessive return flow to the tank.....(caused I think by some poor plumbing re arrangements during an property expansion I had built in 2003).

I would have thought any discoloured water would have balanced with the system, unless it doesn't change at all now and has become stagnant, in which case I assume the black water was produced many years ago, during the high return flow problems, only guessing..

2nd question I have some central heating cleaning chemical, not sure how long it’s safe to leave it in, contacted the manufacturer and they would not commit to how long 🤯

Attachments

• DF481C09-8C58-4F27-A559-E02AADE8A879.jpeg
    DF481C09-8C58-4F27-A559-E02AADE8A879.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • BADCC2A2-45DA-4150-83DE-0D610D6C86D5.jpeg
    BADCC2A2-45DA-4150-83DE-0D610D6C86D5.jpeg
    318.6 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back