Bidet seat US to UK connection

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKbodger

Reaction score
Hi all.
UK amateur seeking advice.
I've purchased a Brondel Bidet seat (basic,non-electric) and fitted it to my UK close-coupled toilet.
I knew it would come with US fittings but researched before purchasing and saw that NTP to BSP adaptors were fairly readily available so thought that connection would be straightforward enough.
The included T-connector is described as 7/8 x 7/8 x 3/8 with the flexi-hose connecting to the 3/8 and to the same on the bidet seat itself. By referencing pipe thread tables, I doubted this 3/8 value and obtained an adaptor that gave me a 1/4 NTP male to connect the flexi to. This proved to be (just) too small and the threads seem much 'coarser' than on the incuded T. I contacted Brondel who confirmed that the male on the T was 3/8 so acquired a further adaptor to give a 3/8 NTP male (to take the flexi). I just knew this 3/8 male would be too big to and this proved to be the case.
I must be missing something (hopefully) obvious to you guys. This 7/8 x 7/8 x 3/8 T seems a fairly standard connector your side of the pond but what on earth are the actual threads?
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
In the USA, we never have to deal with BSP so aside from knowing it is hopeless, I can't see a way to adapt.

In the USA, we never have to deal with BSP so aside from knowing it is hopeless, I can't see a way to adapt.
Thanks.
Here's hoping for more constructive feedback from other members.

As far as I'm concerned, a tapped thread is a tapped thread so no reason why adaptation should not be possible if the correct (US) size/type can be identified.

Thanks.
Here's hoping for more constructive feedback from other members.

As far as I'm concerned, a tapped thread is a tapped thread so no reason why adaptation should not be possible if the correct (US) size/type can be identified.
Since we don't seem to have any active UK plumbers on this site, I was just telegraphing "don't hold your breath". Though, we have a few very erudite non-plumbers...,so, you never know.
Cheers.

Since we don't seem to have any active UK plumbers on this site, I was just telegraphing "don't hold your breath". Though, we have a few very erudite non-plumbers...,so, you never know.
Cheers.
Thanks.
I know it's a long shot posting on here. I've also posted to a similar UK forum so fingers-crossed.
Our standard cold feed to toilet cistern is 1/2", I believe US is 7/8" hence the T connection configuration. I'll be using a UK 1/2" (x3) T connector and have obtained 1/2" BSP to 1/4"NPT and 3/8" NPT adaptors. Brondell tell me that the males on the T and seat itself are 3/8" but 3/8" NPT is way too big and the 1/4" is just too small.
I may just have purchased the most expensive plastic toilet seat that money can buy :confused:

The compression ends would be "3/8" compression (comp.)" not NPT
Standard WC flex connectors in US is 3/8 comp. x 7/8" "ballcock" threads.

Back