Better shut off valve suggestion for toilet/sink other than Home Depot

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pakle

Reaction score
I had all of mine for toilet & sinks replaced with these from Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCr...let-1-4-Turn-Angle-Valve-G2CR19X-C1/202047059About 5 yrs ago. I did a countertop remodel this year and 3 out of the 6 shut off valves leaked (slowly) after they were turned for the first time in 5 yrs to shut off the water for the work. I don't think that's bad luck, I think these things are not designed to be untouched for long periods of time even though the Home Depot description says "smooth operation without freeze-ups even after long periods without use." I had the plumber replace them with the same product just to get the project done.

Would love to know if there's a better shut off valve product out there that's truly designed to not leak after years of non-use. Someone in another thread suggested "1/4 turn stainless ball type" shut off valve, would love a link for that if that's a better product.

If the valves are brass craft and the handle is in the shape of a foot ball there are 2 washers that can be change in minutes
Nope I changed out the football ones for 1/4 turn ones in the Home Depot link.

Thank you both! Dahl it is. 13 of them in my home (sinks & toilets), will try to get these and replace them all next year even though most are only 5 yrs old and a few are less than a year old, but with the high failure rate of the lousy Brasscraft from Home Depot, don't need this headache of "is it going to leak now that I've turned it." Wish I knew this before I replaced them.

And it should be noted that supplyhouse.com that Jeff Handy listed is an excellent outfit to deal with.
I made six orders with them in November ......... modest shipping fee .... good pricing ... excellent communication and fast shipping.

I have not used these specific valves, but Dahl makes very high quality valves. I used Dahl modular valves in a radiant heat system. 👍👍👍

If you have a Lowe’s nearby, they carry Keeney quarter turn valves. I’ve used them in the past with no issues. I’m not a plumber.

The one you’re looking for is K2622PCBG.

From their spec sheet.
All Keeney Quarter Turn Valves feature:
  • Solid Chrome Plated Brass Ball
  • Brass Forged Body
  • All valve bodies and components CNC Machined to our Engineering Tolerances & Specifications
  • Solid Brass Stem
  • Flow Rates 20% higher than ASME 112.18.1M Minimum Standard
  • O-rings designed to be used at working temperatures ranging between -40° and 250°
  • Teflon Seats - melting point of 621° Fahrenheit
  • Valves made from Brass Alloy that complies with NSF61 Section
  • 46 different configurations available

If you have a Lowe’s nearby, they carry Keeney quarter turn valves. I’ve used them in the past with no issues. I’m not a plumber.

The one you’re looking for is K2622PCBG.

From their spec sheet.
All Keeney Quarter Turn Valves feature:
  • Solid Chrome Plated Brass Ball
  • Brass Forged Body
  • All valve bodies and components CNC Machined to our Engineering Tolerances & Specifications
  • Solid Brass Stem
  • Flow Rates 20% higher than ASME 112.18.1M Minimum Standard
  • O-rings designed to be used at working temperatures ranging between -40° and 250°
  • Teflon Seats - melting point of 621° Fahrenheit
  • Valves made from Brass Alloy that complies with NSF61 Section
  • 46 different configurations available
Thanks. Found the product on Lowes website and surprised that despite being all metal, the reviews are not very good:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Keeney-Bra...mpression-Quarter-Turn-Angle-Valve/1000276613I'll probably stick to Dahl when the time comes, or the better Brasscraft.

Why do the BrassCraft linked in the OP leak? As far as I can see, every part appears to be metal, and they're about the same price as any of the others recommended. What makes the others any better?

Breplum stated that the valves linked to in post #1 have a plastic ball, not stainless plated brass.
And the stem is plastic, not metal.

Breplum stated that the valves linked to in post #1 have a plastic ball, not stainless plated brass.
According to Brasscraft, that model doesn't have a ball, but it states that the stem shaft and barrel are plastic. They link to either type here:
Water Stops - BrassCraft

For the G2CR series in the OP, they state:
Stem Barrel - TPE
Stem Shaft - Engineered polymer
O-ring - Rubber

And for the KTCR series ball-type that Breplum linked to:
Stem - Brass, plated
Seat - PTFE
Ball - Brass, plated
Stem O-rings - Rubber

And according to that, the second has more than one o-ring, and the first has one. But I wonder how long the O-rings usually last in either type. Do they usually last a lot longer than the plastic/rubber valve in the G2CR?

Last edited:
UPDATE FROM OP: I just noticed a small leak in the valve that I just had replaced exactly 1 yr ago after it leaked following my countertop remodel (both Brasscraft crap from Home Depot)! So I am ordering 14 of the Dahl (forgot about dishwasher valve in my initial count) and having my handyman change them all next month. I must have the worst luck in the world with these or the Home Depot Brasscraft ones really are crap...

Also in checking the other valves, I noticed most of them from faucets & toilets have green deposits, see pics. A quick google shows they might be from leaking, but those other valves haven't leaked (yet). Of course, I'm getting them all changed out next month, but anything more I should be concerned about with the green deposits?

Attachments

• shut off valve green deposit (1).jpg
    shut off valve green deposit (1).jpg
    852.1 KB · Views: 16
  • shut off valve green deposit (2).jpg
    shut off valve green deposit (2).jpg
    979.3 KB · Views: 14
The green crud might just be super slow leaks from the compression nut not being cranked down tight enough during installation.

If you are having 14 valves changed, I would get at least two extra ones.
In case any are faulty, missing a part, damaged in shipping, damaged during installation.

Cheaper than paying your handyman to have to return, if there are any problems during the change outs.

Latest posts

Back