Best way to install this expansion tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dman2

Reaction score
Hi all. I am installing a new 50 gallon gas water heater and expansion tank (there wasn't one before) and am looking for the best method to install the expansion tank. I have a picture of the current setup below where flex lines run to the water heater and I want to install this expansion tank without doing any soldering or modifying of the plumbing. The most common thing I have seen on the web is to put a tee (is brass best or galvanized?) at the top of the tank, run a short length of pipe out of the side of the tee, put a 90 on the end of that and screw the tank into it. The problem I see with that is if the tank fails and fills with water, there will be all of that stress on the water inlet. Can that be resolved by just placing a block of wood under the horizontal pipe to keep the weight off of the pipe? The only other thing I thought of was mounting the tank to the wall with a bracket and running a flexible corrugated line from the tee to the tank. Let me know if either of these methods are better or if you have another idea.

n4gXack.jpg

I'm sure you'll get some got ideas/suggestions on how to mount and support it.

May I assume you are familiar with the need to add air to closely match your water service pressure. And that should be done before installing it into the water piping.

Also, did you size the tank based on the tank mfrs recommendations? Probably about 4.5 gallons.

As I mentioned in the original post, I don't want to do any soldering or changing the pipes. If I mount it on that bracket, will it work fine to just run a flexible line from the tee to the expansion tank?

I'm sure you'll get some got ideas/suggestions on how to mount and support it.

May I assume you are familiar with the need to add air to closely match your water service pressure. And that should be done before installing it into the water piping.

Also, did you size the tank based on the tank mfrs recommendations? Probably about 4.5 gallons.

Yes, I do know to match the pressure and I did get a 5 gallon one. Thanks.

As I mentioned in the original post, I don't want to do any soldering or changing the pipes. If I mount it on that bracket, will it work fine to just run a flexible line from the tee to the expansion tank?

where is your prv? you need one of those also.

buy some 3/8'' threaded ceiling plates, some 3/8 all thread rod and hang the bracket from the ceiling
gvpl038-3.jpg

It was assumed that you had a PRV(Pressure Reducing Valve) on your water service since you were adding an expansion tank. Or something that prevented the expansion of water back into to main service.

Not quite sure what @frodo was trying to say with the comments, "where is your prv? you need one of those also."

where is your prv? you need one of those also.

buy some 3/8'' threaded ceiling plates, some 3/8 all thread rod and hang the bracket from the ceiling
gvpl038-3.jpg
Yes, I do have a PRV right next to the main shut off inside my house. I am sorry, I am confused what you are saying about that ceiling plate. You showed me that wall mount tank bracket first and that made sense but I am not sure what configuration you are talking about supporting the tank with this ceiling plate. I appreciate the help, but please let me know the full set up you are talking about. My idea off of your first wall mount bracket idea was to mount the tank to the wall with that bracket you showed from Wal Mart and run a flex line to it. If you have a better idea utilizing this ceiling plate, please give me more details. Thank you.

It was assumed that you had a PRV(Pressure Reducing Valve) on your water service since you were adding an expansion tank. Or something that prevented the expansion of water back into to main service.

Not quite sure what @frodo was trying to say with the comments, "where is your prv? you need one of those also."

I do not understand the misunderstanding.
OP did not say he had a prv, nor did i see one in the images posted

I asked. WHERE IS YOUR PRV? You Need One of those
This is a question, Where is your PRV?
And a statement of fact
You need one of those
I do not assume ****, I ask questions to better understand the shitsheasion .

dman:
If you can hang the tank on the wall do so
If you feel the wall is to far away for your flex
then screw the ceiling plate to the ceiling, install a piece of 3/8'' all thread rod [field measured/cut]
then modify the holes on the wall bracket .to accept 3/8'' rod then attach the wall bracket to the the rod using nuts/washers

now you can hang the tank, the weight will not be on the piping

I usually install a brass nipple and tee above the water heater and hang the tank sideways

tankb.png

Oh I see...you were thinking he needs one of those to require an expansion tank, but neglected to clarify.
"Where is your PRV" is a bit different than, DO YOU HAVE A PRV.

Not to prolong this type of discussion but an expansion tank could be required for any one of a few items. Not just a PRV.

Ok, that makes sense. The tank is next to a wall where I can mount that bracket so I won't need to hang it from a pipe from the ceiling. It will also be close enough to run a flexible line so that seems like the easiest way to go for me. So basically I need to thread a brass tee to the top of the tank with a nipple in the other two inlets...the top one will go to a flex line to the main water line (like it does now) and the other will go to a flex line to the expansion tank on the wall. Sound right?

Do you prefer the copper corrugated lines or the stainless corrugated lines (NOT the braided ones)?

After going to a couple of different stores and running this idea by them, they both looked at me like it wasn't the best idea and suggested the other method I mentioned above: tee, nipple, 90, threading the tank into it. The last guy said that is fine for a 2 gallon tank which should be all I need for a 50 gallon tank, but if I have a 5 gallon, just put some sort of block under the pipe to support the weight of the tank so the tee doesn't have to support it. I ended up buying the bass fittings for this setup. Should I stick with the 5 gallon though or get the smaller one?

Oh I see...you were thinking he needs one of those to require an expansion tank, but neglected to clarify.
"Where is your PRV" is a bit different than, DO YOU HAVE A PRV.

Not to prolong this type of discussion but an expansion tank could be required for any one of a few items. Not just a PRV.

WTF? are you daft? or just an argumentative sob?

I asked the op where is your PRV?
WTF do you think that means?
it is a straightforward question that anyone with the sense god gave a freaking billy goat would understand

I really do not know what your problem is. but I am getting tired of your smart ass comments in the threads that i am
on.

Ok, that makes sense. The tank is next to a wall where I can mount that bracket so I won't need to hang it from a pipe from the ceiling. It will also be close enough to run a flexible line so that seems like the easiest way to go for me. So basically I need to thread a brass tee to the top of the tank with a nipple in the other two inlets...the top one will go to a flex line to the main water line (like it does now) and the other will go to a flex line to the expansion tank on the wall. Sound right?

Do you prefer the copper corrugated lines or the stainless corrugated lines (NOT the braided ones)?

YES you have got it

I stay away from stainless braided. their has been a law suit. so i am weary

do not forget. you need a valve in between the tee and the tank
this is in case you need to remove the tank. service is not interrupted

I have to apologise for the child like bickering on your thread. seems we have a smart ass among us.

Sorry frodo...First off I always thought you were the joker and the one ribbing people about getting their panties ruffled, etc.

I truly do not follow your thinking, or the way you present your thinking, on many occasions. I am not trying to harass you and I am truly sorrow.
Believe it or not, I do try to stay away from the threads you are involved with. But sometimes it's hard to hold back. I'll try harder in the future.

Sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Just read the remainder of your comments. I don't feel I was bickering but only pointing out facts. So where did the bickering start, I wonder.

Peace

No worries, I appreciate the help. I am really sorry to keep going on and on about this but I am getting too much advice from different sources now and am getting confused :) If you look at the last reply I made, a couple people at different stores suggested the solid pipe method instead of hanging with the flex line. Are you saying hanging on the wall with a flex line is the better method now? This will be the last time I post about this, I promise :) Or maybe not, haha. Thank you again

F
No worries, I appreciate the help. I am really sorry to keep going on and on about this but I am getting too much advice from different sources now and am getting confused :) If you look at the last reply I made, a couple people at different stores suggested the solid pipe method instead of hanging with the flex line. Are you saying hanging on the wall with a flex line is the better method now? This will be the last time I post about this, I promise :) Or maybe not, haha. Thank you again

I gave you 2 different ways to hang the tank.
either way works.
you need to choose which of the 2 works best for you.

I think using a tee and nipple is faster , neater, than flex to the wall
that is just a personal opinion

Ok, I agree that sounds faster as well, I will go with the tee/nipple method. I'll probably get the stainless corrugated since they bend a little easier.

ONE last thing regarding the vent. If you look in the picture, they have that bend and then a short piece of what looks like the thin pipe just used for normal ductwork. I believe that should be a B-vent pipe there, right? I think I will be able to move the tank a little closer to the wall so a straight piece can go from the tank to that 3x5 reducer above without the bend above the tank. I saw some B-vent pipes at the store but they look pretty solid with finished ends. Are you able to cut those, or is there something else I need?

I don’t want to highjack this thread from the OP, because I see there is an additional question about the vent that still needs to be answered, but I have a question for Frodo about the pic posted in message #9. It looks like the expansion tank is on the cold and the shut off is on the hot?
I am worried now that I did mine wrong. I have an electric heater and I installed mine on the cold after the shut off valve. Did I do this correctly?
Here is a pic. Thanks
F3F5BA03-1B47-4151-9CC6-B6B083051160.jpeg

Latest posts

Back