Best way to install this expansion tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was responding to PlumbGate's comment above. He was stating that an expansion tank was not required as it wasn't established that there was a PRV. He went so far as to say,"Surprised this wasn't already stated."
Looks like his reference to "PRV" was removed.:eek:

Actually no, I was suggesting just don't install it, period. My house has always had a PRV but NEVER had an expansion tank. When I had my hot water tank replaced a couple years ago, the plumber said he "had to" since it was now code. I've had issues with this ever since installation. For one, the don't keep their charge and have to be replenished from time to time. For 2 I have strange pressure noises from fixtures. Code or no-code I would not put this in again I see no use for it. Especially since I would bet if you checked 100 expansion tanks you'll find most of them are low or out of their charge and doing nothing.

Thanks for the clarification.
I guess you don't get enough expansion to reach a critical pressure.
I know many of the PRV's do have a bypass feature that controls thermal expansion pressure, to a point.

Many modern faucet cartridges will also release dangerously high pressure water, or steam, even if turned off.

C463773A-CFB4-4FAD-ACE3-F72BA4786123.jpeg That’s the way we like to install tanks.vertical, up or down. Never horizontal.

Is that copper direct to the galvanized nipple a good idea?

I usually use a brass transition fitting.

Yeah, we use gal here. Water is great quality and we don’t have many issues.

Back