best way to deal with poly-b pipes?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user

Reaction score
Is it true that polybutylene pipes cause oxygen to go into the plumbing system and rust out various components over time? I have polyb pipes for my radiant floor heating. Could that explain why I often have my pumps and boilers fail within years instead of decades?

We don't really deal with it in my area at all, but I've read that earlier versions of poly b were very oxygen permeable.

That could cause your problems. Or the scaling, and flaking off of material inside the pipe could be wrecking your systems.

Either way, it's a bigger problem just waiting to happen (massive leaks).

How would the plumber test for scaling, do they cut the pipes open to check? I read about pouring vinegar into the hot water tank to descale.

For poly-b problems, I have read about these options:
1) replace all polyb pipes
2) add a heat exchanger, a backflow preventer, and add chemicals (?) to system
3) use only non-rusting components: boiler, expansion tank, air scoop, pump, pipes
4) add "water treatment" and test it often (is that the same as "adding chemicals"?)

Which option would you guys recommend? I understand that replacing the pipes may become necessary -- how much roughly should it cost to re-pipe with say PEX for a 4000 sqft 2-floor house for radiant floor heating?

Latest posts

Back