Best way to bleach/cleanse well?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the best way to bleach a well?

• Liquid bleach

• Chlorine tablets

• Another method

Results are only viewable after voting.

ConstableDuffy

Reaction score
I just bought a house that was built in 1977. The water test showed violation levels of coliform bacteria in the well water (although no E. coli). I was told that bleaching the well and plumbing would likely resolve this issue. I understand that there are at least two general ways to do this - pour liquid bleach into the well or use chlorine tablets.

I found this NMSU article (NMSU: Disinfecting a Domestic Well with Shock Chlorination) which instructs how to bleach a well using liquid bleach. Is this process a good one? Someone told me that using chlorine tablets is a much better way to bleach a well. Which of these is the most effective method, or is there another, better method?

Valveman, correct me if i am wrong but mixing bleach and an acid forms chlorine gas .
gill.ca/oss/article/environment-toxicity/art-mixing#:~:text=When%20mixed%20with%20any%20acid,sense%20cahttps://www.

Yeah you have to be careful when mixing any chemicals as gassing off from a well can be dangerous. I don't mix the vinegar and chlorine. I add and mix enough vinegar in the well to lower the ph, then I add chlorine and mix again. Mixing chemicals in water wells can gas off dangerous stuff or just deplete the oxygen levels. Either way great care should be taken when adding anything to well water.

Be careful bleaching a well, I did that and it loosened enough scale to stick the pump, so I changed it. I later took it all apart and cleaned it, got it running and sold it cheap, it was over 20 years old.

Be careful bleaching a well, I did that and it loosened enough scale to stick the pump, so I changed it. I later took it all apart and cleaned it, got it running and sold it cheap, it was over 20 years old.

Good point! Besides off-gassing things that can be dangerous, adding chemicals to a well can cause the pump to get stuck, dissolve holes in the casing, and many other things. Not something to take lightly.

Back