Best tools you u never realized you needed until you had?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see cast iron in older construction and in some new commercial buildings.

Most everything is pvc now and has been since around 1970 in my area.

In my opinion pvc is a much better product.

I’ve dug up 50 yr old pvc that looked like new on the inside. That’s not possible with cast iron.

But like most things, it’s situational.

I'm not a plumber but as an engineer I would agree. Older cast iron makes me nervous...vs PVC or ABS

I wondered if it was sometimes selected due to being less noisy than the plastic products when water is flowing through it

I wondered if it was sometimes selected due to being less noisy than the plastic products when water is flowing through it

Yes, it’s even marketed as “ the quiet pipe “

That said, I’d rather sound proof than have cast iron drain in my home.

Some give the reasoning that cast iron doesn’t put off deadly gas in a structure fire.

Interesting. We are in a moderate fire hazard area in CA so the local code requires tile roof and stucco or other fire resistant external walls etc so I did wonder if fire concerns influenced the pipe selection. Interestingly we had the lines inspected and under the foundation it's all ABS

A question for you pros. Is it common to still install cast iron for inside downpipes etc ? I recently bought a 1976 era house and was surprised to see cast iron. In fact one down pipe had split. Fortunately the inspection showed a damp area on the ground floor and the seller replaced it with plastic. I worry about corrosion and splits/leaks on the old cast pipes
One thing about cast iron drainage piping is that it is quiet . with plastic everyone in the house know it when you flush the toilet . So yes to risers in cast iron . I like cast iron pipe , I have worked on some stuff 150 years old and still sound as the day installed

I see cast iron in older construction and in some new commercial buildings.

Most everything is pvc now and has been since around 1970 in my area.

In my opinion pvc is a much better product.

I’ve dug up 50 yr old pvc that looked like new on the inside. That’s not possible with cast iron.

But like most things, it’s situational.

ya where i live code is all cast iron mainly. Only residential for pvc and even than most choose not to since of how much louder it is

ya where i live code is all cast iron mainly. Only residential for pvc and even than most choose not to since of how much louder it is

You couldn’t give me cast iron pipe for free if I had to install it in a home I planned to keep.....✌️

I’ve made a ton of money replacing it with plastic over the years, so it does have a special place in my heart but just not under my concrete slab.🤣

Usually in areas of the country where the plumbing union is strong you’ll see a lot of cast iron. That and government work.

That’s a handle puller.

The faucet is a Sayco, citation model. If I’m not mistaken.

If I could see the inside parts I could be certain.

Yes, it’s even marketed as “ the quiet pipe “

That said, I’d rather sound proof than have cast iron drain in my home.

Some give the reasoning that cast iron doesn’t put off deadly gas in a structure fire.
In my town mall you have to use no hub cast with the bands. No plastic allowed.

For me the milwaukee wireless copper cutter is SO much better than i anticipated jesus christ. Cuts up to 1" absurdly fast. Saves insane amount of time. and have cut lines with water in many many times with not a single hiccup.
and the kapro levels. They wrap around the copper / pvc making leveling MUCH easier if your alone since you dont need to awkwardly hold the level on the pipe while strapping.
The smart phone.
Whether I'm using the pipe trades plumbing calculator, or need to download a manual. Or call for help, see if a supply store is open.

How much harder would your job be without the smart phone?

A question for you pros. Is it common to still install cast iron for inside downpipes etc ? I recently bought a 1976 era house and was surprised to see cast iron. In fact one down pipe had split. Fortunately the inspection showed a damp area on the ground floor and the seller replaced it with plastic. I worry about corrosion and splits/leaks on the old cast pipes
Some prefer it because of its quietness compared to plastic., such as people flushing toilets. Hospitals request it.

Latest posts

Back