Best non-stick toilet?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLForester

Reaction score
I have monitored the forum to get a sense of what many consider the best toilets. It reminds me of the Ford/Chevy/Ram debate about trucks. People have their preferences. Anyway, I am seriously considering changing out a Glacier Bay toilet that was present when we bought our home. It operates perfectly fine, but (forgive the graphic-ness) fecal material sticks to the porcelain like glue. Nobody wants to see that, and flushing 2-3 times to get rid of it defeats the purpose of water saving toilets. I know some toilet makers claim their porcelain is extra slick to allow the flushing to clean better. Any comments on the truth of that? Brand recommendations?

Well designed low flush toilets are designed to allow solid waste to land in the water and not stick. It has nothing to do with how well the waste sticks to porcelain which is the same from one manufacturer to another.

Well designed low flush toilets are designed to allow solid waste to land in the water and not stick. It has nothing to do with how well the waste sticks to porcelain which is the same from one manufacturer to another.
I've seen adverts, maybe simply hype, that some manufacturers say that the coating on their bowls is less sticky than that of their competitors.

Slicker toilets ...pushed by very slick advertising agencies that also push freezers for people who live in igloos.
OTOH, I remember watching a bug skating -no traction- on the hood of a freshly waxed '55 Pontiac. That uncle used Turtle Wax

Remember when twin blade razors first came out. The advertisements were that the first blade pulls the whisker out slightly and the second blade cuts it off before it has a chance to snap back.

Dan Aykroyd back on the original Saturday Night Live show had a skit about a three bladed razor. His schtick was that the first blade pulled the whisker out slightly and the second blade pulled it our further and the third blade cut it off giving you a super smooth shave. At the end he said you should buy these three bladed razors because you will believe ANYTHING!

I still laugh at myself today when I'm using my Schick Hydro 5 razor each morning.

Indeed. Back in the day my Grandad tried to teach me to use his straight razor. It didn't work out very well. He gifted me that razor and the piece of "costly Swiss ox hide" that he stropped it with.

Now my Gillette needs an "AA" battery replacement from time to time and it too has five (5) edges.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Last edited:
Dan Aykroyd back on the original Saturday Night Live show had a skit about a three bladed razor. His schtick was that the first blade pulled the whisker out slightly and the second blade pulled it our further and the third blade cut it off giving you a super smooth shave. At the end he said you should buy these three bladed razors because you will believe ANYTHING!
Thanks for the memory bump; but Skit? I remember a *very* slick commercial for a 3-blade razor from the Zillette Razor Corporation (?). YES: "Three blades! Because YOU'll believe anything"

I've seen adverts, maybe simply hype, that some manufacturers say that the coating on their bowls is less sticky than that of their competitors.
Where does anyone see TOILET ads? I must say, can never recall seeing one. Maybe in the "Professional Plumber Journal"?

When we bought our home, our RE agent made an off hand comment about "Gerber toilets, oh well" as if there were some problem with them. I wouldn't buy or not buy a home because of the toilets, (easy enough to change) and after nearly three years here, they all seem to be fine. Cannot tell you what model they are, there's no indication. But they flush well. They are imprinted with two pieces of information on the bowl behind the seat: 1.28 g/flush, and 1.6 g/flush. I don't see any adjustments, so I don't know what it is.

Three of the four toilets in the home are in the "front" of the home close to the sewer connection. Of those, two are on the second level. I've always thought that there's plenty of force from a second story flush (gravity and head and all that) to push darn near anything in the pipes out into the mains. The one toilet that worries me is the one in the primary bathroom. This is probably a 75' run with very little drop in the home. A couple of feet into the crawl space, and then the extremely long traverse with a couple of gentle bends in order to get outside the home. I nearly always give that toilet a good luck flush, thinking a slug of just water will help push things along...

I nearly always give that toilet a good luck flush, thinking a slug of just water will help push things along...
That can't hurt. But if the far toilet is a 1.6 g/flush toilet, and as long as the sewer is sloped properly, and "flushable wipes" aren't used (in excess at least), you shouldn't have any concerns with that line. I also assume that other bathroom fixtures flow into that same line, and possible your kitchen fixtures and washing machine? Once the wastes "hit bottom", the only forces on them are gravity and flowing water, so there is no difference between the second-floor toilets and the one 75 feet away.

I nearly always give that toilet a good luck flush, thinking a slug of just water will help push things along...
LOL. I do the same thing but for a slightly different reason. In the Navy, because the food was always so bad, we always said "Flush twice because it's a long way to the chow hall". That and because I always wanted a 3.2 GPF toilet but couldn't find one so I had to improvise.

(PS. I saw the "slick" adverts for toilets on one of the manufacturer's websites.)

Last edited:
That can't hurt...But if the far toilet is a 1.6 g/flush toilet, and as long as the sewer is sloped properly... so there is no difference between the second-floor toilets and the one 75 feet away.
Well, not really. There's some science involved, and not poop science.

The main sewer line is sloped properly (.25"/foot), at the 75' plus 2' from the toilet into the crawl space, we have 77' of length and about a 43" drop from distant toilet to end of line. For the second floor toilet, we have a 13' drop plus another 12' run, 25' in length. That run is a 3" drop, plus the vertical pipe of 156" for a total drop of 159".

Using a pipe flow calculator, whether you have a gallon of water or waste from either toilet, in the distant toilet the velocity of the water/waste would be just under 7'/second. From the second floor toilet, it would be just over 24'/second. So, quite a difference. Water will have less resistance to flow than solid waste, so that extra flush of water will help push things along from the first floor toilet that's so far away from the sewer exit from the house. The second floor toilet(s) will have quite the velocity going and a much shorter distance to get to the exit; everything will be moving fast and exit quickly.

I don't make this stuff up. There are pipe flow calculators to do it for you.

No clogs yet anywhere, so I guess they did it all correctly...

Only once did I ever have to have a pipe snaked. Half my fault, half the "plumber" (actually a remodel contractor). My bad for using the disposal to chew up a bunch of asparagus ends (won't make that mistake ever again!). But the real plumber who came out noticed the drain in the basement for that sink; the contractor put two sharp 90 degree ells very close to one another. Shouldn't have done that. We eventually changed that, and learned our lesson on what to put in the disposal. Very little!

The vertical piping isn’t calculated as drop like horizontal piping is.

Y’all be using bro science 😎

Well, not really. There's some science involved, and not poop science.

The main sewer line is sloped properly (.25"/foot), at the 75' plus 2' from the toilet into the crawl space, we have 77' of length and about a 43" drop from distant toilet to end of line. For the second floor toilet, we have a 13' drop plus another 12' run, 25' in length. That run is a 3" drop, plus the vertical pipe of 156" for a total drop of 159".

Using a pipe flow calculator, whether you have a gallon of water or waste from either toilet, in the distant toilet the velocity of the water/waste would be just under 7'/second. From the second floor toilet, it would be just over 24'/second. So, quite a difference. Water will have less resistance to flow than solid waste, so that extra flush of water will help push things along from the first floor toilet that's so far away from the sewer exit from the house. The second floor toilet(s) will have quite the velocity going and a much shorter distance to get to the exit; everything will be moving fast and exit quickly.

I don't make this stuff up. There are pipe flow calculators to do it for you.

No clogs yet anywhere, so I guess they did it all correctly...

Only once did I ever have to have a pipe snaked. Half my fault, half the "plumber" (actually a remodel contractor). My bad for using the disposal to chew up a bunch of asparagus ends (won't make that mistake ever again!). But the real plumber who came out noticed the drain in the basement for that sink; the contractor put two sharp 90 degree ells very close to one another. Shouldn't have done that. We eventually changed that, and learned our lesson on what to put in the disposal. Very little!
As Twowaxhack said, your thinking is incorrect. The vertical drop cannot be used to determine flow velocity. Your vertical sewer line is never full. When you flush, the 1.28 gallons, or whatever the flush amount is, starts to flow down the pipe. Even with a power flush, the 13-foot drop from the second floor cannot be filled, so a velocity down that pipe cannot be calculated with charts.

And the 1/4" per foot sewer lines are also never really full, so the velocities from charts are also not applicable. That is true in both fluid dynamics science and plumbing (poop) science.

Latest posts

Back