Best brand for residential water heater (tank)

Discussion in 'Water Heaters and Softeners' started by cmjb13, Oct 24, 2018.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

1. Oct 24, 2018 #1

cmjb13

cmjb13

cmjb13

Hi,

I have an 80 gallon AO Smith electric hot water heater that was installed around 2003 by a previous homeowner.

15 years I think is a pretty good run for a hot water heater so I'm starting to explore replacement options.

Looking to downgrade to a 50-55 gallon tank. I do not wish to go tankless at this time. From what I'm seeing there are really only 3 main brands. Rheem, AO Smith and Bradford White. And after looking at the reviews, they all are terrible ranging from defective models, to leaks, to poor customer service, to not honoring warranties.

Just curious on anyone's experience with these or which one is the "least bad" out of the three.

Thanks in advance.

2. Oct 24, 2018 #2

Jamesplumbing06

Jamesplumbing06

Jamesplumbing06

If you can afford lockinvar then get that. But as far as box store models go. They all build to the very minimal safety reguirements. Any way you go you get a 6 year parts and tank warranty. Lockinvar has a 12 year model. Whirlpool has a plastic lifetime warranty. All go bad. You want the best customer service to handle your issue if anything does go bad in the warranty time. Other than that you pay for a 6 year heater you get a 6 year heater. Beyond that your on borrowed time. Best option is the box store you normally shop at so the warranty can be handled there. 80 gallon will be hard to find. They are heat pump style now above 50 gallon electric

3. Oct 25, 2018 #3

voletl

voletl

voletl

Never had a problem with rheem from home depot. Ao smith and Bradford white are good. Not ao smith from lowes though... they are diffrent and horrible. Warranty will determin the life of the heater

4. Oct 25, 2018 #4

ExtraMilePlumbing

ExtraMilePlumbing

ExtraMilePlumbing

were always replacing thermocuples on rheem

5. Oct 25, 2018 #5

ExtraMilePlumbing

ExtraMilePlumbing

ExtraMilePlumbing

cream of the crop over here is Bradford white