Best and most affordable 1 inch Pex-A Expanders

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomadlander

Reaction score
I have a small scheduled repair involving Pex-A. I have used the original Pex-A expander kits for 1/2" and 3/4" jobs. I recently had shoulder surgery and not back to full strenght. I hear the 1" collars in the tubing is not so easy to work with unless you use the battery powered, high priced tools. If you have had lots experience with the 1" size Pex-A, please take a minute and tell me what do you recommend?

I have the Milwaukee M12 fuel cordless Pex expansion tool. Love it. There are others like Dewalt but i chose Milwaukee because all my other tools are Milwauke.

I have a small scheduled repair involving Pex-A. I have used the original Pex-A expander kits for 1/2" and 3/4" jobs. I recently had shoulder surgery and not back to full strenght. I hear the 1" collars in the tubing is not so easy to work with unless you use the battery powered, high priced tools. If you have had lots experience with the 1" size Pex-A, please take a minute and tell me what do you recommend?
With shoulder surgery I would only suggest a cordless power unit. Milwaukee is what I have. Maybe try to rent one.

I have lots & lots of experience with PEX-A one-inch to 1-1/2" manual expansion. (Larger, I used electric at work).

Lever expanding 1-1/4" doesn't seem to take more strength than expanding 1/2 or 3/4".
Expansion rings at low ambient temperature can require a little more strength. (That's why Our Creator gave us hip pockets.)

Orange Depot sells rather inexpensive Apollo heads that fit the Uponor Wirsbo manual expander. A screen shot is below. Other places sell Uponor for most likely better quality and probably higher price than Apollo.

With some creative work-around you can expand manually with an injury. (See below for example)

Why The Work-Arounds:
About 5 months ago, I had 2 custom made metal plates, one 25 cm long, plus 27 screws installed in my dominant arm to hold shattered bones in place & replace washed away bone. I also had blood vessels and tendons repaired, plus head, leg and shoulder repairs. All of this right when I was in the middle of a PEX project using one inch & 1-1/4".

About 3 weeks after release from hospital I was back to using my Wiorsbo manual expander tool with 1" and 1/14" heads (with cast & immobilizer still on) by using a "Cheat-Of-Necessity" that you may be interested in:

Plan A: One lever in the good arm's hand and the other lever against a thigh, chest, abdomen, the wall, the floor,
ladder step, ceiling joist, or ...

Plan B: Cheater Bars on the handles (Haven't tried that. Don't know how clunky it will be to maneuver)

Plan C: One of my brothers uses knee-to-knee to expand, pushing his knees together like a butterfly's wings. Thinking he had an injury, I asked him why he was "kneespanding". "Because it's more fun."

Rings with stops will help you work one-handed, so I recommend those. (No need for Hand two to hold the ring against slipping)

I hope you project goes well & is a fun one!
Paul
PS: I don't know about others, but the older I get, the more Cheats-Of-Necessity get invented.

Attachments

• Apollo At Dopey Depot.png
    Apollo At Dopey Depot.png
    369 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I received a gift of a Unponr manual tool from a dead friend's widow.
In cold weather that winter, we did a new home with a lot of 1" joints.
That was a harsh experience and I vowed to never manually expand again.
I bought twin Milwaukee 12V expander tools so we didn't have to change heads frequently.
If you must use a manual tool, which I DO NOT RECOMMEND...Hire a helper.

Back