Bernzomatic TS8000 Torch Head

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Good Day All. The Bernzomatic TS8000 Torch Head is advertised to have a 'Ultra-Swirl' type flame. It also has an adjustable flame allowing me to dial it down pretty small. When working with 3/4" and 1" copper pipe and fittings, what is an appropriate distance to maintain between the torch flame and the copper pipe & fitting cup being heated up for soldering ? I expect those of you that are professionals are using more sophisticated torch heads. This is what I have to work with and I need to make the best of it. In the end, I'll be working with 1" Tees, Elbows, and forged brass Ball-Valves. Really appreciate all feedback.

There is a bright aqua intense swirl that extends just out of the tip.
The edge of that tip is the hottest spot.
The mfrs suggest not allowing the dial to be set too low because you want to avoid getting the metal tip from turning red hot. The bright intense swirl wants to be just lifting off the metal.

Great information. I'll keep the flame dialed up a little to prevent overheating the metal tip. Seems to be moving smoothly for me as I keep just under 1" between the fitting and the bright tip of the swirl. I should go work inside the garage rather out in the full sun. I'll be able to see the flame better. Looking forward to graduating up to putting the final assembly together, letting it cool down, and then running a pressure testing for leaks. BTW, hope yo are doing as good as possible with all the smoke up your direction ?

Latest posts

Back