Bernzomatic TS8000 Adjustment Knob Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMIEM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Bernzomatic TS8000. I attached it to a propane cylinder to test it out. I had the Adjustment Knob wide open per the instructions. It started right up. I turned the Adjustment Knob expecting the flame to adjust but the difference between the 'open' position and 'closed' position was negligible. Is this the way it's supposed to be or is it defective?

the torch is made to operate wide open, if not, your tip will get red hot and burn op

So it's working correctly and there shouldn't be a noticeable difference depending on the position of the adjustment knob? Is this torch different from the ones where you can adjust the flame to get a blue pencil point?

smith_little_torch_23-1001c_jewelers_pinpoint_welding_acetylene_torch__ab119225.jpg

top image is soft flame tips
bottom is like yours, your blue tip is large, you can not control heat, it is on or off

soft flame you can control heat.

DSCN1562.JPG

Last edited:
Thank You.
I had an old manual propane torch head.
I wanted to upgrade.
I want to use this for home soldering copper pipe.
Bernzomatic recommended the TS3000 or TS4000.
TS3000 can only be used with propane. I want to go to MAPP at some point.
TS4000 would have worked for me but the TS8000 got better reviews so I went with it.
Does my logic seem correct?

I hate to disagree with you FRODO on this one.
That torch is meant to be adjustable. The tip on it is a bit heavier tip than on the standard non adjustable type and will not burn up when turned down. I use that torch for most jobs up to 2".
I like to turn it down when I burning something inside a wall and I don't need a crazy big flame to do it. Takes less than 400 F to melt solder.

And yes the flame should be adjustable down small enough to melt your junk in a spoon or up to max to actually braze small items.

If it's not adjustable, Take it back and exchange it for one that is.

Last edited:
http://www.bernzomatic.com/product/ts8000-high-intensity-trigger-start-torch-head/

""""
I just bought a Bernzomatic TS8000. I attached it to apropane cylinder to test it out. I had the Adjustment Knob wide open per the instructions. It started right up. I turned the Adjustment Knob expecting the flame to adjust but the difference between the 'open' position and 'closed' position was negligible. Is this the way it's supposed to be or is it defective?
""""

thanks for the correction, i was assuming it was like a turbo

Model: TS8000
For best results, use with MAP-ProTM fuel, such as the Bernzomatic 14.1 oz. MAP-Pro Hand Torch Cylinder

this says use map, that might be the problem, it does not sat propane, that i can see

Last edited:
http://www.bernzomatic.com/product/ts8000-high-intensity-trigger-start-torch-head/

""""""""

thanks for the correction, i was assuming it was like a turbo

Model: TS8000
For best results, use with MAP-ProTM fuel, such as the Bernzomatic 14.1 oz. MAP-Pro Hand Torch Cylinder

this says use map, that might be the problem, it does not sat propane, that i can see

The product literature says it can be used with Propane.
I tested with Propane....could this be the reason it doesn't appear to adjust?

It works. I wasn't turning the knob enough. The instructions said don't force after the knob stops (OPEN) when first starting and after the flame is extinguished (CLOSE). It needed a little more turning force to reduce the flame size.....live, watch Mr David's video, and learn.
Instructions could have been a little more explicit.

Latest posts

Back